Winding Stem Holding Screw Has A Stripped Thread

WillFly

I've acquired an old and very worn Tiresa head (Swiss, 17 jewels) to play around with - broken mainspring, etc. - and I'm having some trouble in undoing the screw that holds the winding stem. It turns freely - but doesn't actually unscrew - so the thread is probably mangled - and there isn't enough purchase for tweezers to grip it. Minor, but damned irritating! Unfortunately, it's not so loose that it will just drop out. Any ideas here?

post-64-0-83693500-1421659372_thumb.jpg

Will you will have to use rodico perhaps or a touch of super glue on the end of a pokie thing & hopefully it will lift it out. The only other thing I can think of is if there is no power in the watch is to remove the the bridge wheels etc and hopfully you can access the stem from this side & wiggle it out.

Edited by clockboy

It could have a shoulder on it that holds it captive until you split the movement. I've come across that sort of thing before.

It's just a thought Will.

I've also seen them where you unscrew a couple of turns and then press the end of the screw to release the stem.

Edited by Geo

Will had another thought!!!!

The screw has most likely detached itself from the retaining yoke that stps the stem coming out. What might work is to remove the movement retaining ring & have the watch dial up & wiggle it & at the same time pull the stem. Be careful as the stem can brake

No, alas, I've had to put it on one side, just for the moment, as I've been chauffeuring various family members hither and thither and doing other domesticities. Grandkids school runs, mother-in-law (who's 88 and frail) to hospital for a test this afternoon, shopping tomorrow morning, hospital myself on Friday morning (suspect mole on back). All sorts of fun and games, and I like to book myself some tranquil play space!

No, alas, I've had to put it on one side, just for the moment, as I've been chauffeuring various family members hither and thither and doing other domesticities. Grandkids school runs, mother-in-law (who's 88 and frail) to hospital for a test this afternoon, shopping tomorrow morning, hospital myself on Friday morning (suspect mole on back). All sorts of fun and games, and I like to book myself some tranquil play space!

Me & you seem to have the same hectic life Will. Me clearing a loft with 30years of crap in it. Grandson for the next two days etc etc. PS you might appreciate this in the loft found a box of my old LP,s + my faithful Thorens turntable, sadly with the counter balance weight is missing. All this and them watches still need looking at!!!

Edited by clockboy

I'm hoping to get a "window of opportunity" to sit down with it this weekend. The grandkids and the local health centre have been taking up the week, and I've got to sort out 3,000 pieces of sheet music into a filing cabinet I collected from an eBay seller on Monday afternoon, and I can't get the cabinet into the garage until I've shifted amps and crates out of the way, and then I've got to get my son over to give me a hand with shifting the cabinet, and then... and then...

So I'm a bit busy at the moment! :D