I picked up these cool cuckoo clocks and want to restore them back to their former glory. 

Main Question I would like answered - Is there a motor I can buy to install to avoid having to wind them but also keep the main components inside. I want to keep the Sessions clock as our daily chimer but having to wind it every three days is a bit annoying. I don't want to gut the internal components because I love the look and authentic sound. I just wish there was an automatic winder I could install inside.

Closest - Seth Thomas woodbury 1970 westminster chime made in Germany. Works perfectly. I am wondering what I can use to clean the wood with and metal bezel. Excellent condition.

Seth Thomas 4505 movement, made in US around 1940s. Works perfectly.

Style King, made in Germany. I have no idea how old it is? The back door is barely held on because the metal hinges are worn and the bezel is also poorly attached. Keeps decent time and chimes.

Sessions, 1920-22 made in US. This is my favorite because it is the oldest, largest, and loudest. The back door is always open because the latch is missing. The bezel is a nice bronze but I would like to know what the best option is to make is cleaner and shine. 

Does anyone know the value? I picked them all up for $30 a piece. 

IMG-7408.JPG

Hi  As far as I am aware there is no motor to wind clocks, Winding every three days is excessive, I have two cuckoo clocks both regula movements one winds once a week the other once a day. Looking at the collection you have there I would say the majority are eight day. They probably are in sore need of dismantling cleaning and lubrication. That should improve the winding issuer. As to price the last lot I bought was about £15 to £25 all requiring work so I guess you did ok.  cleaning the woodwork depends on the state of the case usually a light rub down with 00 wire wool and wax and a good polish does the trick. Hinges you can get hold off if you look hard enough.  The bezel can be cleaned with brasso wadding its less abrasive than the liquid.     Have fun      cheers

45 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  As far as I am aware there is no motor to wind clocks, Winding every three days is excessive, I have two cuckoo clocks both regula movements one winds once a week the other once a day. Looking at the collection you have there I would say the majority are eight day. They probably are in sore need of dismantling cleaning and lubrication. That should improve the winding issuer. As to price the last lot I bought was about £15 to £25 all requiring work so I guess you did ok.  cleaning the woodwork depends on the state of the case usually a light rub down with 00 wire wool and wax and a good polish does the trick. Hinges you can get hold off if you look hard enough.  The bezel can be cleaned with brasso wadding its less abrasive than the liquid.     Have fun      cheers

I was able to find self winding clocks on youtube so there is a possibility of altering them I just don't have the technological or mechanical knowledge to do it. You are correct, they are all 8 day. The man I bought them from informed me that they were all serviced by him and that they will keep time for about a week but for accuracy it is best to rewind after 3 days. I want to clean them myself to learn how to do it. I will get the brasso wadding you recommended. Than you WW! 

Hi   I would not take it as read them being serviced, Take a good look at the movements and check for worn pivots etc and the presence of oil on the pivots. Some peoples idea of service is to slop on oil and away you go. Not trying to negative here but cautious. Just take you time and enjoy the clocks, I have around 30 of them all types from mantle clocks to 400 day anniversary clocks and love all of them   enjoy.      Cheers

• Like 1