"Master" watchmaker

I've received a 2824-2 watch with the complain that it stops. Just looking at it in jeweler's shop I noticed:

• date misaligned
  • date changes at the wrong time
  • caseback opening scratches
  • doesn't hack
  • weight hardly turns

Then while disassembly

• one casing screw missing
  • both dial feet snapped flush and consequent double side tape
  • lots of oil in the oddest places, like under barrel bridge
  • missing stop lever
  • barrel bridge screws lose, likely that's why the ratchet wheel left marks on it and it would not auto wind.
  • driver scratches on the barrel

One could think that was the result of an improvised repairer or owner. Not so, as it happens it was given to this small town shop which proudly has a sign outside: "master watchmaker". After a long time and much money the desperate owner wanted to try someone else to repair it. I hope to be able to.

P2201219.JPG

P2201220.JPG

P2201218.JPG

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some more evidence. May be the idea is that you mark parts that go more or less together?
I have reassembled the mov't and timing is flawless. But i'm afraid the issue with auto winding is still there, I may post about that separately.

P3011248.JPG

P3011249.JPG

P3031251.JPG

• Like 1

Jeezumpetes.

I just got a Baume & Mercier chrono, was serviced 6 months ago by B&M, 800 bucks. Stopped. Sent in for warranty, they said it was dropped, not covered. Ends up on my bench....

2892 with Dubois Depraz module. Straight away, auto module was barely screwed on. Get to taking the dial off, one dial screw missing. Found it in the chrono module, put it where it belongs, double checked all the other screws, and it runs great.

And the brands don't want to distribute parts because us indie guys are hacks.

Hahahahaha.

• Like 2

I always scratch and "X" into every part I touch to remind me that it cleaned it. :rolleyes:

31 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

And the brands don't want to distribute parts because us indie guys are hacks.

Not just watch brands ... auto makers, tech companies, big pharma ... don't get em started.

• Haha 1