Hands on 12.68z

I recently bought this Longines, and I believe the hands are not original, as I've yet to find a Sport Chief with similar hands. 1034296606_IMG_08641.thumb.JPG.88e11c5be69b7eef862a0e7105b8dadd.JPG162662702_IMG_08631.thumb.JPG.80266f2c7903cc548682aa255b89729e.JPG 

I've tried to figure out how to find some original hands, but short of buying a whole watch with the same 12.68Z movement, I haven't found a solution. I've looked on all the listed parts vendors on this site, but no hands to be found. I've looked on ebay for a few weeks now, but also to no avail. I've also considered just finding some new hands, but I'm lacking a hand measuring tool, and didn't feel like the cost was worth it to fix this one issue at the time. Hence, here I am, hoping that someone here has the knowledge I seek, or any pointers on where to find the information I require. Either where to find original hands, or the dimensions of the hands so I can consider buying new unoriginal hands.

As you can see, the glass is also cracked, so I've wanted to replace that. I wanted to avoid removing it for as long as possible, as the watch is currently getting wrist-time now and then, and reinserting a cracked glass often turns out to be a sad endeavor. So if anyone has any idea about the dimensions of the crystal that would also be greatly appreciated.  1788685162_IMG_08651.thumb.JPG.f52d9d610d795195d3c44d6b00b5168f.JPG

8 minutes ago, Thesecondtallestman said:

I'm lacking a hand measuring tool, and didn't feel like the cost was worth it to fix this one issue at the time. 

Pivots sizes are listed on e.g. ranfft.de. For length just use a vernier caliper.

So if anyone has any idea about the dimensions of the crystal that would also be greatly appreciated. 

Again, you need to measure parts. Note that you need a press and proper dies or a lift and plate to fit crystals.

BTW, we have a section where is considered polite for new members to introduce themselves.

Thank you! Much appreciated. I stumbled upon ranfft while fixing my first watch. At that time I just googled the movement and brand, which had it at the very top of my google search. Googling anything with Longines just brings up an endless stream of auctions. 

7 minutes ago, jdm said:

BTW, we have a section where is considered polite for new members to introduce themselves.

I was not aware of this. I will introduce myself!
Again, thanks for the help.

Looks like the hands could have been painted. That is pretty common . Probably someone with bad eyes .Looks like they are right shape.  And maybe could help you with some hands. Have some Longines hands that looks like that . 

Edited by rogart63

Hello Rogart, and thank you for the generous offer.

12 hours ago, rogart63 said:

They are for 12,86N

After a quick look on ranfft it does appear that 12.68N does have a quite a bit larger pivot, as the dimensions listed are "1.6 x 1.00 x 0.22mm", while the 12.68Z has "1.32 x 0.75 x 0.22mm". So unless I am missing something, I'm assuming they wouldn't fit very well. I did measure the lenght of my hands, 10.9mm on the hour, and 14.75mm on the minute, roughly as the metal looks quite brittle, and I didn't want to mash it in my caliper. I am curious if the lenghts are similar to the 12.68N.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thesecondtallestman said:

Hello Rogart, and thank you for the generous offer.

After a quick look on ranfft it does appear that 12.68N does have a quite a bit larger pivot, as the dimensions listed are "1.6 x 1.00 x 0.22mm", while the 12.68Z has "1.32 x 0.75 x 0.22mm". So unless I am missing something, I'm assuming they wouldn't fit very well. I did measure the lenght of my hands, 10.9mm on the hour, and 14.75mm on the minute, roughly as the metal looks quite brittle, and I didn't want to mash it in my caliper. I am curious if the lenghts are similar to the 12.68N.

So can it be. I didn't check . Says 12,68Z on the label . As i look closer on your hands . They look corroded? Can it be so? I wonder if your watch should have the straight hands or the dauphine  hands. 

If the label said 12.68Z, what made you say they were for 12.68N? Regarding my own hands, my initial thought was that they were corroded. However, when you suggested they might be painted it got more confusing. They do have corrosion-esque texture, but it could very well be some kind of aged paint with patina. The color is a dark grey, without any discernible hints of the typical reddish/orange rust color.

As for what type of hands I should have, I really don't know. Been trying to find an example of the same watch without much luck. When I bought it I somewhat figured it might be a redial, with someone adding the "Sport Chief" text to the dial. I've read some debates about Sport Chief redials on omegaforums, but they basically have two competing viewpoints; Sport Chief redials are common, typically to add value to watches with the popular 30L movement (which mine doesn't have), and Sport Chief redials are uncommon, as there is no real demand for Sport Chiefs. However, upon receiving the watch, the text is very uniform, has the exact same texture and color, the same protrusion and reflective properties. Still though, I can't find many pictures of Sport Chiefs with a painted logo instead of the typical metal insert. One of the closest matches I've found had straight hands with center gaps for lume, but the subdial on that one was still different from mine, so I didn't feel certain that those were the hands mine should have as well. 

Anywho, I somewhat enjoy the hunt for the truth, although it delays the process of fixing the watch up to a standard I can be happy with. Gonna add some more close up photos of the dial text/logo and hands, so whoever want to can chime in.

IMG_0871.thumb.JPG.52110aac0ae5749811bfcae53b3054c5.JPG

Excuse the glare on this one, but  it was the only way to capture the refraction/glare and protrusion in a picture.

IMG_0874.thumb.JPG.19b762d1228f9421c05d5c07ee0891b5.JPG

And the final one is a better lit close-up image of the hands. 

IMG_0876.thumb.JPG.251fe7fcca1aabcceece67a249b73dd6.JPG

• Similar Content