Cleaning the pallet fork and balance

vext01

Hi everyone,

I recently read on a forum that you should not clean the pallet fork or the balance with IPA alcohol.

I knew that you shouldn't use IPA on the pallet fork, as it removes the shellac, but why not the balance? And what would you use on these components instead if you were on a budget?

I've recently serviced a Vostok movement where I *did* clean the balance with IPA. No damage was done and the watch works fine, but now I'm curious.

Thanks

The impulse jewel on the balance is usually fixed with shellac too. One way to clean on a budget is to soak / brush / ultrasonic with lighter fuel, then a quick rinse in ipa to get rid of any residues and dry with a blower. Some people on here will not take the risk of getting alcohol on shellac, because it will soften it and dissolve it eventually, but the general consensus is that a few minutes contact don't hurt. Also, ammonia-based cleaners work well and are not too expensive. Then a rinse in alcohol is a good way to finish, because it drives off the water then evaporates without trace.

• Like 1

Just to remind once more that lighter fuel contains oils and fragrances that make it poorly suited in this time - it's formulated to burn not to clean.

Petroleum ether aka is actually cheaper in quantity and easily available.

jdm could be right about the "lighter fuel". it's a general term as far as I know, and some solutions may have oils etc. added which leave unwanted traces behind. That's why a rinse in alcohol after is a good idea. The purest ipa is not that easy to find though, and not that cheap when you find it.

For the record, this is the "lighter fuel" I use, 5 to 6 Euros for a 1 litre tin.

DSC02112.thumb.JPG.dc467f0b22f6bd7c3a8875d82e880643.JPG

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Before putting it back in the case I would fit the hands and use a pin vice on the stem to make sure the hands were in line. 
    • Put the movement in a movement holder and it will be supported as you push down on the setting lever post to release the winding stem. Make sure the post is over the shoulder of the movement holder so what you are pressing down on is supported. As a general rule, hold the movement and not the movement holder. Replace the hands when the movement isn't in the case and support the centre jewel (if it has one) on a hard surface or staking block when replacing the hands to stop the jewel accidentally moving or even coming out. A dedicated movement holder with a central jewel support is even better, but pricey
    • It might help us if we knew which watch like model number.
    • Hi, guys I have a bit of a predicament and hopefully, somebody can advise. I'm working on a Roamer MST 521 where the movement is extracted from the crystal side. I'm now at the final hurdle where I need to replace the movement back into its case but I'm not sure of the correct procedure. I still need to fit the hands but that's where the problem lies. If I insert the winding stem to test the hands for correct alignment I will need to turn the movement over to release the stem again it's the spring-loaded type and needs a small bit of force to push down but with the hands fitted, I don't think I can do this on a cushion without causing some damage to the hands and that's the last thing I want to do, this watch has already been a love-hate relationship and I'm so close to boxing this one off which I'm counting as my first major project.  The other option is to case the movement then fit the hands and hope everything is okay. I've already broken the original winding stem but managed to find a replacement, the last one in stock, so I'm a bit reluctant to keep removing it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.