Bauertime

Spring Bar broke in watch case lug hole

Question

Sometimes a vintage watch will have no room to access the spring bar with a knife edge. And you have no choice but to pry the band off the watch. 99% of the time this is done without bad things happening. But you run the risk off the pin breaking off flush in the case lug hole and it is almost impossible to get out. Does anyone have a neat trick to remove it from the case lug hole? 

10 answers to this question

Do you have an ultrasonic cleaner? It will usually vibrate off. If you dont have one try holding something that vibrates with a high frequency (any electric motor eg elec toothbrush) next to the case and see if it comes loose.

Good luck.

Anilv

No I don't have a cleaner, but I do have a tooth bush. I'll give it a try, thanks. I would like to say that I will do everything possible, even snip the band and spring bar in half before I would pry it off, because it can ruin a watch case if it gets stuck in there.

11 hours ago, Bauertime said:

Sometimes a vintage watch will have no room to access the spring bar with a knife edge. And you have no choice but to pry the band off the watch. 99% of the time this is done without bad things happening. But you run the risk off the pin breaking off flush in the case lug hole and it is almost impossible to get out. Does anyone have a neat trick to remove it from the case lug hole? 

nothing to do with vintage watches,   vintage or cheep spring bars.    if you want brake a spring bar,  put a drop of penetrating oil on each end of the spring bar BEFORE you put a screwdriver between the case and the bar.   cheers,  vin

16 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Have you tried Rodico? You could drill it out. 

drilling can be difficult,  you are at an angle with the hole,  it would elongate the hole.    vin

You are only drilling out the broken bar not the hole, using a smaller drill if careful will not affect the hole so the angle doesn't come into play. I have in the past done many of these and always had a good result.