Riveting Stake

Don

I could have used one like this the other day when I was trying to insert a barrel arbor.

Bergeon%201902b.jpg

There's no way I'm paying $40 for one though. I got to thinking I could make one myself with some brass bar and my drill press. Is brass to soft for this purpose? Also, can anyone with a Bergeon 1902 give me the approximate size?

Thanks,

Don

Brass would almost certainly be a bit soft if you were going to actually use it for rivetting. However, for tasks such as installing barrel arbors I don't think it would be a problem.

I have a number of these rivetting stakes (including one that somebody made out of brass) that I have picked up in job lots of stuff over the years and they are very useful to have around. I have one which on the face of it looks like the one in your pic but I don't know if mine is a Bergeon 1902 or not. It's certainly the same arrangement and number of holes. Dimensions are 50.2mm x 14.9mm for the top surface and 5.9mm thick. It has a cross section like a fat "T" with the vertical being 10.5mm thick and the horizontal being 1.8mm thick. The biggest hole is approx 2.5mm diameter, and the smallest is approx 0.25mm Diameter.

Hope this helps.

The non-bergeon ones are much cheaper and do the job just fine. Why go to all the effort when they are so cheap.

E.G. http://www.ebay.com/itm/small-rivetting-stake-block-/281074274283?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_WatchAccessories_SpareParts_SM&hash=item4171550feb

Or: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Watch-Tools-Rivetting-Stakes-Set-of-Three-Pcs-/361188193705?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item54187e75a9

Mine is not Bergeon and I have had it since my apprentice days :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.