Please help to correct Daily rate.

deathkei

Hello :)

I have a question about correct Daily rate.

Here is Timegrapher app data. (Omega cal.1120, Dial Up)

Starting with +107s/d, rate is gradually decrease.

Power reserve (not very accurate)

100% ->  +107s/d

95% ->  +104s/d

85+% ->  +101s/d

Below 50%, rate is significantly reduced.

24H from 100% ->  +73s/d

Here is the differences the actual time.

Average rate :+97.5s/d

I measured Five times at 24H intervals.

Fullwind every 24H and then Dial Up status.

I want to make the rate close to 0~+5s when I wear it. (or Dial Up position)

Power reserve should also be considered when wearing. (Start with 50% PowerReserves)

Considering the position error, how many seconds should I correct it?

Please think of this as an thought experiment.

Thank you for the comments.

27 minutes ago, jdm said:

Has the watch been serviced recently and the mainspring been replaced already? 

BTW we have a section where is considered polite for new members to introduce themselves. 

Hello :) 

I wrote introduce myself right after I joined. Nice to meet you.

I don't know the history of repairs before the watch came into my hands.

I received an overhaul service 2 weeks ago, Overhauled by a very professional repairer.

Perhaps the mainspring has not been replaced.

A few days later, I suddenly felt that the rate was strange.

7 hours ago, CaptCalvin said:

Perhaps closing the regulator index gap would help with the isochronism error. 

Thank you for the comments :)

The method you mentioned will reduce rate.

If the watch isn't broken, what should I set the rate reading to?

It is difficult to determine a figure that is not inconvenient to use.

9 hours ago, deathkei said:

I received an overhaul service 2 weeks ago, Overhauled by a very professional repairer.
Perhaps the mainspring has not been replaced.

Possibly because it didn't needed to be replaced. I think you should bring it back to the repairer explaining the problem to give him a chance to use his professionalism in regulating it the best possible. In any  case not letting the watch stay more than, say a night, without wearing or otherwise winding it should help in getting at a more constant rate.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, jdm said:

Possibly because it didn't needed to be replaced. I think you should bring it back to the repairer explaining the problem to give him a chance to use his professionalism in regulating it the best possible. In any  case not letting the watch stay more than, say a night, without wearing or otherwise winding it should help in getting at a more constant rate.

I understand what you mean.
Although measured by the timing machine by the repairer, I wonder why such a large rate has occurred.
I'll take it back to him and explain it to him.

Thank you for helping me. Have a good day :)

11 minutes ago, CaptCalvin said:

Wait you mentioned that the rate suddenly increased? How are we forgetting the most obvious approach to this problem? Try hitting it with the demagnetizer!

Thank you :)  At first, I thought magnetism was a problem.

When I measured it with a magnetic field meter app, it probably didn't have a problem.

If the watch is left(Dial Up) until 24 hours after fullwind, it will have the same error for near +97 seconds.

I've just measured it again.

15 hours after fullwind, +100s/d is still measured.  Aplitude has decreased a little.

Perhaps the rate does not increase or decrease significantly until 50% of the power reserve remains.

If there's nothing wrong with the other parts, I think I've had a large rate since I got it from the repairer.

That is a chronometer certified movement if I'm not mistaken, and should be an absolute piece of cake to regulate to that level. It should also maintain that rate or darn close to it after 24 hours, which would be a hair over 50% of the reserve total.

If it was serviced recently the watchmaker should definitely have a look.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

That is a chronometer certified movement if I'm not mistaken, and should be an absolute piece of cake to regulate to that level. It should also maintain that rate or darn close to it after 24 hours, which would be a hair over 50% of the reserve total.

If it was serviced recently the watchmaker should definitely have a look.

Thank you. :)

I took this opportunity to learn about omega cal.1120 movement.

COSC certification

Perhaps 44-46H PowerReserve

similar form to eta2892

51' lift angle ( I have a document that says 53')

I don't know why rate is +100s/d, but I'll go back to the repair shop.

Well it should be simple enough to get it to 0~+5 on the wrist. You sync the time to a reference and wear the watch for something like a week. Then you calculate average seconds gained/lost per day for the period you wore it. If the watch gained/lost you subtract/add the average gained/lost per day from whatever the timegraph displays and that would be your target rate to regulate to. 

For example I wear the watch and at the end of the week I find that it had gained 35 seconds. I divide 35 by 7 and get 5 which means it gained on average 5 seconds a day. I wind it up fully and put it on the timegraph dial down and it reads +2. I subtract 5 from 2 which gets me -3. Now I regulate it so that it reads -3 dial down on timegraph and see where that gets me. Unless your wearing habits change significantly from week to week too much consideration need not be placed on wearing habits because all that would already be factored in.

Edited by CaptCalvin
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, CaptCalvin said:

Well it should be simple enough to get it to 0~+5 on the wrist. You sync the time to a reference and wear the watch for something like a week. Then you calculate average seconds gained/lost per day for the period you wore it. If the watch gained/lost you subtract/add the average gained/lost per day from whatever the timegraph displays and that would be your target rate to regulate to. 

For example I wear the watch and at the end of the week I find that it had gained 35 seconds. I divide 35 by 7 and get 5 which means it gained on average 5 seconds a day. I wind it up fully and put it on the timegraph dial down and it reads +2. I subtract 5 from 2 which gets me -3. Now I regulate it so that it reads -3 dial down on timegraph and see where that gets me. Unless your wearing habits change significantly from week to week too much consideration need not be placed on wearing habits because all that would already be factored in.

Wow, thank you very much! :Bravo:
I understand exactly what you are saying.
I learned how to correct rate according to usual wearing habits.

I've been wearing an automatic watch for over 15 years, but it's the first time I've thought about the rate because there's never been such a strange daily rate.