Balance spring needles

watchweasol

Hi  A short while ago there was a mention of re forming and adjusting balance springs. I mentioned I had made some tools from sewing needles with the eye ground down providing a fork with witch to adjust the springs. I used two sizes of needle, put in a pin vise and just stoned the end off. Done carefully they make usefull tools. Mine are just fitted into to old chopsticks and being square they don't roll about the bench.    A sewing machine needle fitted into a handle also gives a good stiff tool for manipulating small parts and inspecting train wheels etc.  These are not expensive to make in either time or materials but I wouldn't be without them.   

DSCF3269.JPG

DSCF3270.JPG

DSCF3271.JPG

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, rogart63 said:

Great tips . i am going to make a couple of those . I though about this for a while. I often need to fix the balance spring to get it running perfect. I have a 5 mm plastic rod that would work as a handle instead of te chopstick

There are manufactured fork end needles. I see if I can take a magnified picture of one to post. 

@rogart63  PM sent to you on different subject, please check your inbox.

• Like 1

Sewing machine needles, of course.

Brilliant idea.

I had thought of using ordinary sewing needles, but sewing machine needles, since they have a flat face ground on them are perfect. I may even fabricate a couple of 3d printed handles so I can slot them right in.  My wife is a quilter, so now I have a use for the old needles when they get dull or break, rather than discarding them.

Something else for the to-do list when I get back.

• Like 1