1978 Timex Falcon Eye

As the trimmer on this is a tiny low value variable capacitance it is probable that some contaminant has bridged between the two capacitor plates, at an edge, and dramatically changed the value of the trimmer, preventing the quartz oscillator from running. Turning the trimmer would break any bridging at the edge. 'All' you need now is to reset the trimmer for accurate time keeping :D, fortunately something I can now do on these, since I realised that  if I set the gate time on my Seiko QT-99 Quartztester to 120seconds it reads these and allows you to adjust them accurately. My M58 jump minute watch now runs to +0.5 secs/dayB)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/16/2020 at 1:35 PM, JohnD said:

As the trimmer on this is a tiny low value variable capacitance it is probable that some contaminant has bridged between the two capacitor plates, at an edge, and dramatically changed the value of the trimmer, preventing the quartz oscillator from running. Turning the trimmer would break any bridging at the edge. 'All' you need now is to reset the trimmer for accurate time keeping :D, fortunately something I can now do on these, since I realised that  if I set the gate time on my Seiko QT-99 Quartztester to 120seconds it reads these and allows you to adjust them accurately. My M58 jump minute watch now runs to +0.5 secs/dayB)

Good to know! It's now gaining about 3/4 of a second a day. Since my phone based timegrapher doesn't register one tick per minute, I relied on a led style clock app on my phone that has 10ths of a second. 

Through a generous donation of a stellar OEM timex bracelet from a fellow WRT member,  I now have a nearly pristine 1978 Timex Falcon Eye! It looks and runs like a dream. It's honestly one of my best time keepers! Not too shabby for 42 years old! A huge shout out and thank you to @yankeedog for the kindness! 

My old cruddy one on top

20200221_170033.thumb.jpg.1b72f8f8815f2eeb7f6ff997e3d200d3.jpg

So much better! :wub:

20200221_171029.thumb.jpg.17e09139ff89a56370792ab210c7bce1.jpg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

Through a generous donation of a stellar OEM timex bracelet from a fellow WRT member,  I now have a nearly pristine 1978 Timex Falcon Eye! It looks and runs like a dream. It's honestly one of my best time keepers! Not too shabby for 42 years old! A huge shout out and thank you to @yankeedog for the kindness! 

My old cruddy one on top

20200221_170033.thumb.jpg.1b72f8f8815f2eeb7f6ff997e3d200d3.jpg

So much better! :wub:

20200221_171029.thumb.jpg.17e09139ff89a56370792ab210c7bce1.jpg

Very nice, a good condition OEM bracelet makes the watch :thumbsu:.

About 5 years ago, I was attempting to restore the very first Seiko that I bought in 1973 but the bracelet was falling apart and someone on SCWF kindly gifted me a very good condition original bracelet for it :angel:....

95zOuln.jpg

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Just got my falcon in the mail today wasn't running but I took it apart and got it running but have to jump start it pretty sure it needs oiled. Pretty sure I'll need to replace a few parts. Not sure where to find them. I have two model 62 also that are running fine. My collection is around thirty watches I started collecting 4 months ago I'm hooked lol. Anyone know a link to how to disassemble and oil this watch

16125928657955748488521854172713.jpg

Edited by Paulr34

I posted on here but somehow I didn't post. I just got min falcon for 50 bucks said it wasn't running I clicked the spring and it came to life but stops from time to time. Does this mean it needs oiled. I just recently got into watches I have around 20 timex watches and I'm hooked.

16128326281751738609662965568748.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I recently found one of these in a watch lopt. When I placed a battery in the compartment, the second hand started ticking... I don't know if it needs regulation or not. One problem... The watch battery compartment cover is missing. Would anyone know where to source one of these? 

• 4 months later...
On 2/12/2020 at 11:05 PM, FLwatchguy73 said:

Just received my original 1978 Timex Falcon Eye. This blue dial is hypnotic. The battery had indeed leaked, but the corrosion was confined to the battery itself. I carefully removed the battery and cleaned the muck left behind. I carefully brushed out the rest of the crumbs and the dial with a clean dry paint brush. Absolutely nothing was corroded other than the battery itself. I popped a fresh battery in, gave it a wiggle and the balance took off running. It's been running since and keeping great time. The movement, I believe,  is a M63 quartz regulated electro-mechanical model. I'll polish the crystal next week and clean up the rest. Considering how pricey the vintage models are going for, I did pretty food on this one, less than $30.

20200212_192442.thumb.jpg.4b21a5daf08c16b26de8a5d739ef5504.jpg

20200212_192202.thumb.jpg.7a2bd746b29a0254d651a302f0221eb0.jpg

Timex_M66.jpg.62473d688dd21ddec1ad08320b549053.jpg

Miraculously, the band fits PERFECTLY!:thumbsu:

20200212_221634.thumb.jpg.f4ef1091f9ae571d00676b03772e9f0c.jpg

I guess now that I own one, Timex says it can help me to carve stone horses, SWEET! Just what I always wanted!:D

dj0605.thumb.jpg.baa17caba0767cb1ff4cb3475a8e8507.jpg

I received this same watch in a lot I secured off eBay. Cleaned up really well and the new battery installation was smooth. I had to shake the watch a bit to get it up and running and manually move the mechanism inside (Still new to the hobby. Don’t know the actual part name).  This watch has been keeping great time for three days. Original bracelet was included as well. Thinking this watch will move up in my list of favorites. 

671E6B4C-A0D9-4B4F-BA31-55FF8132718E.jpeg

9 hours ago, Upgrade1978 said:

and manually move the mechanism inside (Still new to the hobby. Don’t know the actual part name).

The balance! And yes that's normal with these I think. The movement is not self starting if a good battery isn't installed because the balance needs to be swung to one side or the other in order for the electromagnet to be repelled back. The center is a neutral position and it may not kick up when the battery goes in until it gets a little flick of the wrist.

• Thanks 1

Thank you. Working on another Vintage Quartz. The balance (thank you!) starts and stops especially when the case back in put back on. Gotta figure this one out. Lovely watch overall. I see a nice clean up. Think battery alignment may be an issue with this one. Gonna take my time. 

62940A84-8D9A-4B38-900E-A8AAEF98ADDB.jpeg

46 minutes ago, mbwatch said:

The balance! And yes that's normal with these I think. The movement is not self starting if a good battery isn't installed because the balance needs to be swung to one side or the other in order for the electromagnet to be repelled back. The center is a neutral position and it may not kick up when the battery goes in until it gets a little flick of the wrist.

Thanks for the feedback. 

On 9/23/2022 at 10:54 PM, Upgrade1978 said:

Thank you. Working on another Vintage Quartz. The balance (thank you!) starts and stops especially when the case back in put back on. Gotta figure this one out. Lovely watch overall. I see a nice clean up. Think battery alignment may be an issue with this one. Gonna take my time. 

62940A84-8D9A-4B38-900E-A8AAEF98ADDB.jpeg

Thanks for the feedback. 

Well I guess I damaged something? Can’t seem to get any power now. I was playing around with the battery connection parts. No movement inside now whatsoever.  I will put this one on ice until I get a revelation.