Fake Rolex ’s are just getting to convincing

The replica industry is a odd beast- I know a lot of people who are pretty darn shallow though.  I know someone who owns a replica and won't wear it because they are worried about being robbed. (eyes rolling)

Personally, I don't think I'd buy a Rolex unless I had it under the loupe first.

It's been a minefield for a long time. Already 20 years ago they were buying humdrum stainless Rolex watches, then putting the movement in solid gold cases made in Italy with exquisite dial and hands to make a new sought after model. Profit margin back then probably 10k per piece after buying the donor and the gold. They were/are so good that the only sure way to know is to analyze the gold (Rolex has its own alloys).

At that point it actually begs the question- how real is real? If an expert can't tell, and even Rolex has to go to the lab, and the workmanship is equal, dangit it's real, no?

14 hours ago, RyMoeller said:

The replica industry is a odd beast- I know a lot of people who are pretty darn shallow though.  I know someone who owns a replica and won't wear it because they are worried about being robbed. (eyes rolling)

Personally, I don't think I'd buy a Rolex unless I had it under the loupe first.

Fake/replica  rolex.   about 20 yrs. ago,  at a swap meet:  there was a dealer selling VERY good looking "replicas " -80 bucks - i was collecting omegas,  he had none.   i bought a Bretling,  never a rolex.   vin

2 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

At that point it actually begs the question- how real is real? If an expert can't tell, and even Rolex has to go to the lab, and the workmanship is equal, dangit it's real, no?

Don't worry, we aren't there yet. Experts can tell from a lot not so small details. This other great video is perhaps more illustrative. It is not even a real coaxial, just a camouflaged one.

BTW, selling a fake for genuine happens but is a large minority of the sales. 99% of the success of counterfeiting is due to watch "lovers" that  fuel counterfeiting by consciously buying it. They think it's a good idea to look richer and hence "better" by deception.

4 hours ago, jdm said:

Don't worry, we aren't there yet. Experts can tell from a lot not so small details. This other great video is perhaps more illustrative. It is not even a real coaxial, just a camouflaged one.

BTW, selling a fake for genuine happens but is a large minority of the sales. 99% of the success of counterfeiting is due to watch "lovers" that  fuel counterfeiting by consciously buying it. They think it's a good idea to look richer and hence "better" by deception.

i did not like the "design" of any current rolex  and even the workmanship of the fake?  vin

• 2 weeks later...

I must admit the fakers nowadays are much better. I recall some eight years ago  my long term friend saw me wearing the Rolex datejust. To my surprise, he suddenly showed me a fake one and offered it to me for FREE. I gratefully thanked him but refused to accept. However I did examined the watch closely and was,n,t impressed by its weight. The craftsmanship.then was way off comparing to the one I noticed in this forum.