Fake Rolex ’s are just getting to convincing

The replica industry is a odd beast- I know a lot of people who are pretty darn shallow though.  I know someone who owns a replica and won't wear it because they are worried about being robbed. (eyes rolling)

Personally, I don't think I'd buy a Rolex unless I had it under the loupe first.

It's been a minefield for a long time. Already 20 years ago they were buying humdrum stainless Rolex watches, then putting the movement in solid gold cases made in Italy with exquisite dial and hands to make a new sought after model. Profit margin back then probably 10k per piece after buying the donor and the gold. They were/are so good that the only sure way to know is to analyze the gold (Rolex has its own alloys).

At that point it actually begs the question- how real is real? If an expert can't tell, and even Rolex has to go to the lab, and the workmanship is equal, dangit it's real, no?

14 hours ago, RyMoeller said:

The replica industry is a odd beast- I know a lot of people who are pretty darn shallow though.  I know someone who owns a replica and won't wear it because they are worried about being robbed. (eyes rolling)

Personally, I don't think I'd buy a Rolex unless I had it under the loupe first.

Fake/replica  rolex.   about 20 yrs. ago,  at a swap meet:  there was a dealer selling VERY good looking "replicas " -80 bucks - i was collecting omegas,  he had none.   i bought a Bretling,  never a rolex.   vin

2 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

At that point it actually begs the question- how real is real? If an expert can't tell, and even Rolex has to go to the lab, and the workmanship is equal, dangit it's real, no?

Don't worry, we aren't there yet. Experts can tell from a lot not so small details. This other great video is perhaps more illustrative. It is not even a real coaxial, just a camouflaged one.

BTW, selling a fake for genuine happens but is a large minority of the sales. 99% of the success of counterfeiting is due to watch "lovers" that  fuel counterfeiting by consciously buying it. They think it's a good idea to look richer and hence "better" by deception.

4 hours ago, jdm said:

Don't worry, we aren't there yet. Experts can tell from a lot not so small details. This other great video is perhaps more illustrative. It is not even a real coaxial, just a camouflaged one.

BTW, selling a fake for genuine happens but is a large minority of the sales. 99% of the success of counterfeiting is due to watch "lovers" that  fuel counterfeiting by consciously buying it. They think it's a good idea to look richer and hence "better" by deception.

i did not like the "design" of any current rolex  and even the workmanship of the fake?  vin

• 2 weeks later...

I must admit the fakers nowadays are much better. I recall some eight years ago  my long term friend saw me wearing the Rolex datejust. To my surprise, he suddenly showed me a fake one and offered it to me for FREE. I gratefully thanked him but refused to accept. However I did examined the watch closely and was,n,t impressed by its weight. The craftsmanship.then was way off comparing to the one I noticed in this forum.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• you could try but the problem is the punch that goes inside there is a specific shape if you have the wrong shape it's not going to fit all the way. Plus the end has a specific shape so that ideally you can knock the staff out without breaking the pivots. But usually the hole in the end gets plugged up and that's wishful thinking that you'll keep the pivot intact. then does that have enough adjustment that it would work for your staking set?
    • in other words that's not the hairspring for that balance wheel it came from somewhere else? providing the hairspring is flat and not touching the balance arm or the over coil isn't rubbing on the upper bridge. Yes it's common for over coil hairsprings to not be exactly where there supposed to be and their hard to see that they are where there supposed to be. Normally if you are running really fast around 15 minutes it would be because you are missing one of the timing screws. Timing screws have to come in pairs one on one side one on the other if one falls out about 15 minutes is how fast you'd be running. check your balance wheel to make sure all your screws are there in pairs. usually not this fast but you do want to be careful that the balance arms form a nice round circle often times with bimetallic balance wheels people will squeeze them and the wheel will not be round that causes interesting timing problems but not usually as dramatic as this. then just a reminder on modern watches with flat hairsprings a procedure called hairspring vibrating adjusts the hairspring to that exact balance wheel. If you look at parts list for modern watches you typically never see the hairspring separate. In the case of vintage with over coil hairsprings to get the hairspring into the exact shape it's easier to pre-make them. Then the factory would match the balance wheel to that hairspring. then because hairsprings were available separately back then you would also have things like this assortment of screws. Notice in the image the screws are rated per hour and came in either gold usually found a nicer great balance wheels and standard brass. So like your watches about 14 seconds per hour you would mix-and-match the screws to match your balance wheel to your new hairspring.   so this is why this isn't working the mean time screws are fine adjustment not meant for matching the balance wheel to the hairspring. oh thinking of assortments is another image out of the catalog it's a shame they overlap the images notice the reference to strengths even for your model of watch? Then unfortunately they covered up part of the image at the bottom but there's a reference to the type is screws found on the balance wheel. the idea would be to find timing screws otherwise you could do a timing washers but typically the maximum effect they have would be three minutes per day and you're going to need a few of them. Then ideally you're only supposed to put one washer under each screw head is not good the double up not that it can't be done but you're really not supposed to. another option you have here is if you still have the other balance wheel see if you have some slightly bigger or heavier screws and do a little mixing and matching just remember to keep them in pairs or you're going to have a heck of a poising issue.
    • I am working on a Waltham 1894, it was in poor shape and so the movement is a bit of a mongrel, hair spring from one train wheel bridge from another and so on. I've gotten it to run sorta ok (best of three mainsprings) Trouble is it runs way too fast like 14 minutes fast. I've gotten it down a but by adjusting the mean time screws but I have it running with the screws all the way out as far as they can go with the regulater all the way slow. So is my only option to attempt finding timing washers? Or is there something wrong with my diagnostics.
    • A GOT THIS K&D TOOL BUT A DO NOT HAVE  THE STAKING K&D PUNCH FOR IT IS A POSSIBLE FOR ME TO USE A STAKING PUNCH FROM MY STAKING TOOL TO REMOVE THE STAFF INSERTED IN THE K&D TOOL?
    • I think that the only thing you would need to be cautious of, is whether or not the adhesive you use could off-gas. I've seen threads on other boards where super glue was never to be used for this very reason.