Seiko SGG711 Date wheel issue

Greetings, I'm new here!

I have an issue with my Seiko SGG711 (Titanium) watch and was hoping someone could offer some advice.

Let me start out by acknowledging that this is not exactly the type of watch most people would typically go to much effort to repair, but, as is often the case with items such as watches, the sentimental value of the object can and will exceed the monetary value.

So, now that we've got that out of the way, the issue I'm encountering is not a major one, only a mild annoyance (for now) - basically, it's got day and date wheels that display on the right face (see picture), and they both move at the correct speed, and while the day can be adjusted, the date number is very difficult to change - as I try to adjust it with the knob, it tries to move up, but slips back down. If I obsessive-compulsively move the knob for several minutes, I can get the date number to make it to the next number, and all is well until the next non-31 day month ... and being in February, well, you know.. it's going to be annoying to skip a few numbers..

So I was wondering if you guys could shed some light on this type of issue, if it's fixable, if parts are source-able (obviously, this particular watch is not exactly a famous line for Seiko), and how much it could cost to be repaired.

It's been a good run for this watch, and I've worn it just about every day for a little over 6 years. I've never found another watch that fit quite as right as this one, and while I'll buy another somewhere if I have to, I'd really like to repair the one I've got.

Many thanks for any advice you can offer!

Luke

Resized_20200210_225856.jpeg

It probably can be be fixed but you will find that it would have a relatively high cost, you would be lucky to be quoted between EUR 50 and 100. We live in a world of dispensable goods, economical watches are not much of an exception. To identify the module used in your watch report the XXXX-YYYY numbers on the back.

7 hours ago, jdm said:

It probably can be be fixed but you will find that it would have a relatively high cost, you would be lucky to be quoted between EUR 50 and 100. We live in a world of dispensable goods, economical watches are not much of an exception. To identify the module used in your watch report the XXXX-YYYY numbers on the back.

Thanks so much for your feedback! As it was originally a $300+ watch (I guess around 100 now), I might just try and get a quote from someone on a repair... there is only a 7N43-OABO identification on the back, along with a 6-digit serial code, any idea where a good place to go for parts would be? I'm pretty new to watch repairwork, and would probably try and go through a shop anyway, but it would be good to know where folks go should I take the plunge ... this is the only non-mechanical watch I own.

Resized_20200211_125155.jpeg

6 minutes ago, LukeofMass said:

there is only a 7N43-OABO identification on the back,

You can buy a new 7N43 quartz module for GBP11 plus VAT and shipping on Cousins UK, or little more for a complete watch with that on Ebay.
Replacing is not difficult but unless you have a specific interest better to a watch shop with the module in hand, should not be too expensive.
Just FYI Seiko currently offers solar powered titanium watches very similar to your for no big money.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd make a little update about this project...

I did end up ordering the replacement movement from CousinsUK for about 13GBP including the cheapest shipping option, took about 4 weeks to arrive, and then another 2+ months at the repair shop while the quarantine was in place on non-essential businesses, finally picked her up today.

Looks interesting, the movement itself is still in production for an entirely different watch which is apparently more popular and and expensive (hence worth it to make replacement movements...) - this watch has a white face, and dark-wheeled movements of this model don't exist outside what comes with this watch new. Not a huge deal to me, easier to notice. Replacement was only about 15USD as well - for a rough total of around 30USD including the part.

Cheapest used of this watch is $40 on eBay so it did indeed wind up being economical. It's not every day that a sentimental 2000's quartz is economical to do such a repair on, and I look forward to carrying this for another 6 or more years, with probably a replaced crystal at some point.

So thanks once again to everybody who gave me pointers here, I'll be back the nest time something happens to one of my (nearly) worthless watches... hah

Hope this finds everybody here safe and healthy during this crazy time.

Luke

new_movement.jpeg