Seiko 7009-899A glass replacement

Evening all, hoping for yet more help with my increasing pile of unfinished Seiko 7009s!

I bought an eBay watch a week or so ago, received in the post yesterday.  After removing the movement for a service, the glass fell out of the case, complete with what appears to be an undersized gasket and flat ring.  

I'm now trying to work out what to order to assemble the parts, and what I need to replace. The depth of the recess in the case is 1.8mm, the glass is 1mm thick, the flat ring is 0.8mm, the gasket is too small for the glass.

My instinct is that the flat ring goes in first, then a proper sized gasket, and then the glass.  But I'm not sure whether this arrangement would work, in particular whether it is possible to press a glass into a gasket with a rubber seal flexing as I do so!

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

image.thumb.png.f4383be3fac3fc76c44c2315ae802ebc.png

The watch is a Mumbay special as the funny lettering on the dial shows. Don't bother too much trying to make sense of how parts should fit together because the sellers puts together things just to ship it out. If the crystal is not the correct size for the case you will need another one. The flat gasket below it may not even be needed, also there are L crystal gaskets which raises the crystal if needed. It's all about measuring to fix it but I would suggest that you look for a more genuine Seiko for a next purchase.

• Like 2

Hi If you have a pile of unfinished 7009's check to see if amongst them you have a genuine one check out the case fittings.  The bombay specials are just cobbled to gether to sell and may well be from a collection of case and movement parts.  I have a couple of 7009's so I will have a look when time permits.      Cheers

• Like 1

Hi   I had a look at them and both cases are different one has a flat crystal and from what I can see without dismantling is there is a flat gasket at the bottom where the crystal sits and the crystal its self is pressed into another gasket, so both gaskets need to be snug fitting to achieve water resistance.  

The other one has and acrylic high dome and that is just a compression fit using the glass lifter to squeeze the acrylic to allow it to locate its seating on the case.  You may find reading the attached guide will be of some help in understanding  its construction.      Cheers

03. Casing Guide seiko.pdf