mainspring 8 day clock

yankeedog

Hello all ,

I have an Ingraham  8 days clock I have been asked to "take a look at". The movement is covered with eighty years worth of soot and lard. something like a bbq grille, except that it is not charred.I am scratching my head as to let down the mainsprings. Any Insight?

You will need two mainspring clamps. You put the clamps over the mainsprings, with the key you move the click spring away from the ratchet and slowly unwind the springs, when the springs unwind they are trapped in the clamps. Only then can you take the movement apart. Never try to take the movement apart with out the clamps, you will have a nightmare trying to put it back together. 

You should be able to buy the clamps from any good clock pats suppliers. Just make sure you get the right size as I think there's about 3 sizes. 

1199679018995-2042280652.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Yankeedog OLD Hippy is on the money.If its only a one off wind up the springs and fit thick copper wire round them and then release the click to take up any slack then split the plate sounds like a good preliminary soak is needed before working on it.  Ingram made the commoly used Gingerbread clock somewhere under the crud there will be aserial number for dating. around the 1800s

• Thanks 1

Hi Yankeedog   whilst poking about on my workshop computer I came across these PDF,s which you might find interesting regarding the re Birth of the Ingram. A little light reading while it relaxes in it bath.  Keep us posted on the progress, they are quite commonly used along with the Ansonia  I like them they are no nonsense movements.      Cheers

American Clock Striking Levers.pdf American mainspring sizes.pdf

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, this is a family heirloom that belongs to a dear friend. there are some missing parts however, but I was able to find a donor movement on ETSY. I soaked it over night in Mineral spirits  to loosen up the crud  and penetrate into any recalcitrant screws  Once i get it apart and clean I will then delve into the works, from what I  have read  there is a tendency  for the main plates to wear.  It is not my intent to clean and slap together, but rather to get it to a point where it may run for another 100 years thanks again for your time and interest.

• Like 1

I immersed  the whole thing in mineral  spirits( the soup). Not knowing how the fasteners  would  react ..sometimes things that  have not been  taken  apart  in eighty  years are stubborn  about coming  apart.It was a kitchen  clock..the owner  took the manufacturer at their word. This is the south...EVERYTHING  is DEEP  fried,even ice cream. Grease gets on everything. 

Edited by yankeedog