Mainspring power not carried through gear trains.

east3rn

Hello dear watchmakers!

I have an old hand wound seiko from around 1940s.

The watch was not moving with the spring wound up.

So I cleaned up the movement and assembled it.

For one day it was working Ok but after, watch stopped like before. I remember that center wheel was somewhat stiff when assembling. Would this be the cause for this situation??

Any advice would be grateful. Thank you all

20200204_100732.jpg

20200204_081435.jpg

17 minutes ago, east3rn said:

I remember that center wheel was somewhat stiff when assembling. Would this be the cause for this situation??

If the shaft on the wheel is not straight, it may be rubbing against the jewels or bearings. This may cause it to bind up.

I presume you have checked that the hands are not fouling on each other.
Have you run it without the hands to see?

How long does it run before it stops?
Do all of the wheels look to be flat?

Did you examine the teeth on them all to ensure that none are damaged?

Do you have access to a time grapher so you can show us how it is running?

16 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

If the shaft on the wheel is not straight, it may be rubbing against the jewels or bearings. This may cause it to bind up.

I presume you have checked that the hands are not fouling on each other.
Have you run it without the hands to see?

How long does it run before it stops?
Do all of the wheels look to be flat?

Did you examine the teeth on them all to ensure that none are damaged?

Do you have access to a time grapher so you can show us how it is running?

Hello sir. Actually I havent examined the wheel very closely. I should go through the checklist of questions you mentioned. Hope I find something not in good shape. I appreciate your advice 

• Like 1

If you take just the balance out and gently nudge the pallet back and forth, you should see it flick itself quickly once you pass the lock up position of the pallet jewels. If it does this, it is a good sign that the gear train is ok. If it slowly drifts or you have to nudge it all the way to the next lockup, something is wrong in the train.

• Like 2

Have you checked the mainspring?the watch may appear to wind with a broken one.the friction for the coils against each other will allow it..as you wind it listen you can hear it slip.alternately you can watch the click ,it is the ratcheting mechanism which keeps the spring from unwinding. a good mainspring will push back against it, a broken one will not. a broken spring may wind for a little bit until the torque of the spring overcomes the friction and it slips.

• Like 1