Help with adhesives for plastic bezel

I have a new project, a Seiko 45899 Tokyo Olympic First Chronograph. It is just like the 5719-8990 except is has a different back design and a plastic rotating bezel. My problem is that the bezel is broken in half and the replacement costs approx. $175. Since I am keeping the watch and it is not for sale I cannot justify the price. I need to know if anyone has any success with repairing a plastic bezel and what they used. I have tried 2 types of superglue and watch crystal adhesive. None worked. You can see the breaks at the 58 minute and the 29 minute markers. Please excuse the hair.

I would be open to purchasing one if someone has one. Please PM me as sales are not allowed in the public forum. Thanks.

1972396550_48899bezel.thumb.jpg.eb4c6c4cd3e2b6399f8d078bf3f32c38.jpg

Edited by MIKED19551
Add info

I would trial plastic primer dabbed onto the broken surface prior to good superglue.. The other thing is to try JB weld or another high quality epoxy.
Unfortunately it doesn't look like you could plastic weld it safely.

AFAIK these are made from bakelite?

You may have to buy the $175 one. My mate got one and it looks great.

Are you attempting to glue this in place, or are you trying to glue it before installing it on the watch? If you are attempting to glue it prior to installing and the bezel has to snap in place, you won't likely ever be able to find a permanent solution. I have heard UV set epoxies do well, but not much can withstand the stress of installing it back in place. Even if you find an adhesive that holds, this bezel is likely to snap right next to the repair when you try to reinstall it. One thought, perhaps after repairing it, if you boil it a bit it will expand slightly and the bezel will slip on while still hot, then you can dunk it in cold water to set it. Certainly worth a try.

• Like 1

Plastic can be a nightmare to glue successfully. One trick is to use heated wire placed from the rear (non embossed side) to "stitch" the break together. I doubt if this would survive the pressue of re-fitting though. Also this can be dangerous, as too much heat will destroy the thing you are trying to repair.

My guess is that the plastic may be nylon, in which case, finding a usable solvent to glue it will be tricky. Glacial acetic acid, and phenol may dissolve nylon, but good luck finding those, and take care with both if you do as you run the risk of turning the whole thing into a pile of goop.

One other suggestion. You could possibly make a mold from casting silicone, and make copies from that using modern plastic casting products (look in your local hobby shop or online for both).

A lot of plastics are much more flexible than the original, just as tough, and will take the detail you need.

This guy is the crafting with plastic genius of my Youtube feed.

Furthermore if you are successful with making a decent mold and copying it, you might have a nice little side line in $175 copies. :D

Edited by AndyHull