Springster

Which Cleaner to Use

Question

Hi All

First time here and an "old timer" very new to watch movement cleaning, etc.  I'm fascinated with this "mechanical surgery" known as watch repair and my question is which cleaner will work the best for a beginner with no cleaning machine and very little experience in this venture.  I'm not sure how involved I wish to become with this fascinating skill, but with a few cheap mechanical watches acquired on EBay, I'm ready to disassemble and see what happens.  I have some basic tools I purchased, but which cleaner would work better as an overall cleaner; denatured alcohol, white gas, coleman lantern fuel, or naphtha lighter fluid?  Which if any might damage the pallet fork or other parts? Thanks for all the help and advise.

3 answers to this question

Hi all the ones you mentioned will work also Isopropyl Alchol (IPA) available on the net or at the chemist.  I use carburetter cleaner or brake cleaner as the initial de greaser and finish with the IPA. I should have a look on this sire using the search box as the subject has been covered many times, and everybody has their own prefered method and cleaner. Its a case of reading whats been written and choose what you think suits your purpose.

Don’t use alcohol on pallets and balance if you do just dip then dry, but it’s good for a final rinse. A dry cleaner which is used for electrical is best for balance and fork it’s safe on shellac. For cleaning I like naphtha just make sure you dry it quickly preferably with heated air like a blow dryer it will leave less residue. Get some pegwood and nylon brushes to do some hand cleaning. Also rodico is a must have for cleaning pinions wheels and sopping up excess oil.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.