Deggsie

Correct method for increasing end-shake.

Question

Hello all. This is the first occasion I have had a need to increase end shake, but the escape wheel on my current project is being ‘clamped’ when the top and bottom end stones are installed. The type of end stones are as shown in the photo below:

8d77a786a38f2e6f794196260021acc1.jpg

The effect of the zero end-shake is that the watch will just about run at best or not at all. With the pallets removed the gear train runs like it’s been lubricated with tar.

I cannot imagine how incorrect assembly would decrease the end-shake, only increase it. So, my conclusion is that the escape wheel has been replaced at some time and not correctly fitted. What would you suggest as a best method to shorten the pivot please? We are talking just microns to prevent binding taking place

Thanks in advance

Deggsie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the watch guys database turned out to be extremely handy indeed! I filtered all GR4502 springs and noted it is also used in the ST1686 - the very movement I bought in a box of spares a couple of years back. So, I installed the ST1686 main spring into the AS1186 (much longer and now looks proportionately correct) and immediately it ran up with gusto! On the timegrapher, with no regulation Im getting 280degrees amplitude, +7s/day rate and a BE of 1.0ms This is similar in all planes except pendant down. I think after another clean and proper lubrication this will improve.

1c3309a03158b57877b16feecfae7a5e.jpg&key=06ad49d274924ccd5b16428c7d491c4fd8b2df8a9ffac85e4df81df61192cfcd59d1ffc906ad614e5c4d92bed2606451.jpg&key=a747d10e0eeca2f5e49a5611c32cd914829519c87223afde27ff5a86458b5e8e

8 hours ago, Deggsie said:

Hello saswatch and thank you. Reading your reply gave me a eureka moment. It seems the nos mainspring I purchased was not correctly identified by the eBay seller and is too short as well as too narrow and too thin!

The photos below show the mainspring dims as per Ranft and the dims of the mainspring I purchased. Presumably such undersizing would mean the impulse kick to the balance wheel would not be strong enough to achieve correct amplitude?

50568ec55dbe63a9dc025f4f835b7a38.jpg&key=d33da043354d69fbd5d6f9a6de046741dc2194605c6654ec362d4d114d164a16565d0f81c1bde6535a64ca62ccf19c34.jpg&key=3af590ba1c1824554d8a8c0e8393e8de525e163d6e894cdf605226254127b9a6

Kind regards

Deggsie

Look for mainspring that has metric size on package but most should have both Dennison and metric like Samson springs.