6498 Hairspring - Can It Be Saved?

BlakeL

Good job both Maurice and Blake! It encourages me to work on a couple I have waiting. Hopefully I'll get faster and better at it with practice. I was procrastinating due to the time involved! :)

Will use the cork trick from Geo, very promising!

Edited by bobm12

Looks like my wife has approved the purchase of a staking set.  She actually knew kind of what was because they had an episode of American Pickers where they saw one of the sets with the glass protector on top.  Looks like my max to spend is around $100.  I'm watching a few on eBay that I might ask questions about in another topic since I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

I just got a GemOro 1780 Ultrasonic Cleaner on eBay for $23 which I believe is the same one Bob uses.  Pretty good deal since they are $41 on Amazon. I guess I'm getting two things this month.

Edited by BlakeL

It could be very handy in the future for you, but you will have to be certain that all the parts are all there and in good condition. I personally would rather have a good staking set and a separate dedicated jeweling tool.

I agree with Geo horses for courses really to deal will jewels use a dedicated jewel tool. I purchased a Seize (sorry for the spelling) that not only pushes the jewels also has reamers for fitting slightly different size jewels. As a rider I have only so far only used once but it's nice to have the tool if needed

That makes sense.  The ones I've seen with that attachment and all the pieces are usually very expensive ($300+).  I was watching a K&D 600 today but it went for around $180 with shipping but there is another one ending in a few days.  I'm only wanting to spend at most $125 so I'll just look for getting a dedicated jewel tool in the future.

• Like 1

Hi Blake,

I did a lot of homework to decide on my staking tool. The reason I bought the one I have is because it is reversible giving you a maximum of flexibility as a staking tool. Also the jewel attachment is fully compatible with Seitz (staking tools too) and it has a micrometer making it a full jeweling tool in this configuration and a very useful staking tool for some jobs that might require this feature. It also has reams to clean/adapt jewels and everything Seitz has got in both staking and jeweling tools which when purchased separately (as normally with this brand) may well go above US$2K. Space is also a consideration and it all fit in a nice wooden box. Again, it is fully compatible with Seitz products and other brands out there.

Since the one I got was the ultimate one made by K&D with a full set of stakes and goodies, I'm set for a while and if anything gets damaged I can always buy the Seitz part. It is said that there is nothing out there that can compare with a K&D reversible and I believe it...it is also hard to come by them in good shape since they have been out of production for a big while now. It is of note that most used staking tools, especially the cheap ones, are not normally in good shape and rust and misuse are the rule. On those, time and elbow grease might not fully restore the set so be careful with what you buy. Consider spending a little more just to have peace of mind. If your budget is too low at this point, consider skipping your next month "allowance" and save to get the real thing the first time, otherwise you will end up broke and without a useable tool.

Just a thought and hopping this will help,

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Check out ofrei, they have some sort of posting/review of K&D and you will realize exactly where that brand stands.

Edited by bobm12

Good points.  I'm defiantly going to have to up my budget since the Inverto sets are so good.  There are a few sets like this on eBay currently and I'm going to try and grab one.  Not as comprehensive as the one you posted that you bought awhile back but should be good.

Hi Blake,

Looks good and great price. It doesn't look rusty...maybe you don't need to wait :) I'd ask the seller if in doubt. Remember you can always add stakes and other stuff little by little and most Seitz parts may fit on that model too. Ask about the micrometer just in case, it is a nice feature.

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Blake,

Looks good and great price. It doesn't look rusty...maybe you don't need to wait :) I'd ask the seller if in doubt. Remember you can always add stakes and other stuff little by little and most Seitz parts may fit on that model too. Ask about the micrometer just in case, it is a nice feature.

Cheers,

Bob

Good price now since there is still 6 days left :(. Looks like the GemOro will be delivered on Tuesday so now I need to add cleaning solutions to my need to buy list.

Cleaning solutions...there goes another $100 :(

But on the bright side it will last quite a while. I got 3 400ml beakers with respective mesh baskets with handles and the little mesh baskets (screw top) for the parts. That way I distribute the solutions on each beaker (1 cleaning, 1 "dirty" rinse, 1 "clean" rinse) Inside the screw top baskets (2 x 23 mm and 1 x 15 mm) = small watch parts. Inside the big baskets with handle the previous baskets and big parts and the lot inside a beaker. Add solution to cover. Put in ultrasonic tank. Add water to ultrasonic tank surrounding the beaker. Turn on and wait 10 minutes (maybe turning on every time timer disconnects). You are done. Repeat with the other solutions. In 30 minutes you are done cleaning and next will be drying...another 10 - 15 min depending. Then hand cleaning the jewels (I use a 100 ml beaker) with Ronson fuel. The balance wheel gets individual treatment on the Ultrasonic all by itself in the basket with handle and attached to the main plate.

post-253-0-51487800-1421532553.jpg     post-253-0-85640200-1421532576.jpg

Cheapo alternative (not too good):

post-253-0-95082600-1421532790_thumb.jpg

Edited by bobm12

I already saved another post you made about the GemOro to Google Docs and I'm including the above as well.  I think at this point we should call it Bob's Guide to the GemOro 1780 for Watch Cleaning. I'm going to be set once I get all the goodies to go with it.

Have a look at Uncle Larry's Watch Shop for the staking set. He gets some good one now and then and, from what I've read, is a good seller.

He's a very fair guy, he quoted $9.87 for carriage for my latest purchase, then without even telling me refunded $1.87 because the shipping was that bit less. :-)

Looks like my wife has approved the purchase of a staking set.  She actually knew kind of what was because they had an episode of American Pickers where they saw one of the sets with the glass protector on top.  Looks like my max to spend is around $100.  I'm watching a few on eBay that I might ask questions about in another topic since I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Probably out of your price range :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vtg-Kindrick-Davis-Inverto-Staking-Tool-No-18-Series-600-Watchmaker-Set-K-D-/311262429591?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4878afc197

Yeah, I'm trying to get one under $200.  Question, is the 600 series also Inverto style?  I see a lot of those going for around $150 and in the K&D manual that I downloaded somewhere describes them as the Junior Inverto model.

KandD600.PNG

Yeah, I'm trying to get one under $200.  Question, is the 600 series also Inverto style?  I see a lot of those going for around $150 and in the K&D manual that I downloaded somewhere describes them as the Junior Inverto model.

KandD600.PNG

That one EBay is a 600 series, so the answer is yes. :-)

Another Staking Question - What is the item circled below?  I see some sets include this but others don't.  Just want to see how important it is.  

I looked through that K&D manual I have but didn't see anything similar pictured.

KandD600-2.JPG