• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• try bluing yourself. its a fun experiment. I'm just a noob myself, even newer to this forum, working on vintage pocket watches, buying non working ones using them as a training tool to service and repair them. naturally bluing and I crossed paths. use some of the hands your getting in the lot. make sure they're clean and free of any coating. test them to see if they're metal(yes, I didn't once, and immediately melted one). thin sheetmetal is very temperature-sensitive. apply a low heat/flame such as a pocket lighter, or better yet, a small alcohol/white gas jewelers/watch makers lamp(you can buy the little buggers at even Wal-*** for a few bucks. I'm gonna catch flak about that one from the watch elite on here but I don't care)I bought a vintage one on ebay for cheap but I got lucky. I've tried a couple ways: one-lay the hand on a piece of brass if you can find one and slowly apply the heat under the said brass,  and then watch slowly as the hand starts to turn colors. don't hold the flame in one place. slowly guide it around as if you're lighting tobacco in a pipe. start with the flame about 1/2-3/4 inch away from the underside of the brass. it's amazing. you can basically color your hands to any color on the spectrum! blue, you say? well, what shade of blue? light? dark? purple? gold? you name it. just watch your color turn from light tan, to light cobalt...the color is only limited by your hand and the time allowed under the flame, and distance of the flame. try a couple for practice and you'll have the hang of it. it's easy. the other I try but only because I'm a machinist and I have access to brass small brass chips and dust. I made a small tray-like device out of brass and I put the chips and dust in it, lay the hands into the chips and set the flame to the underside of that. make its a little easier for me to hold and control. but you get the idea.  the tube you speak of, and I'm not familiar much with ETA movements yet per se, but I think that has to stay. the other thing if you don't know the diameter, it if you have a staking device, you can open or close the bore in the hand by staking it, with the correct stake and stump. hey, have fun tho! dang things are addicting! then move onto your own screws. thats even more fun! oops almost forgot-watch your fingers! and use a vise grip or pliers of some sort to hold on to the brass! of course, I've NEVER burned a finger or two. ha
    • Sad about the CAL400. Newbie question: what do watch repair technicians usually do for worn pivot holes like this? I imagine trying to put in a bushing that small would be a challenge.  Could one (dare one) drill a socket for a jewel bearing?  Can anything he done here?
    • ... thinking about this a little more deeply, it might be fun to acquire some plain steel hands and learn to blue them myself. I'm sure that this won't be the most cost-effective way of fixing my specific issue, but I've been enamored with blued parts for a very long time and it would be delightful to be able to blue my own hands, screws, etc. in watches I make for friends and family. I do have a stupid threshold question before going down this path, however -- there's a brass tube component that connects the hands with the pinions. Can one blue a set of steel hands with this little brass tube present, or does it need to be removed first? If the latter, this is going to be beyond me.
    • I figured out earlier that my CAL 400 ( CAL400 ) did not run not because of the balance jewels or the balance assembly, but because the escape wheel pivot holes are worn both in the main plate and the train wheels plate. The escape wheel pivots were really busy and dug a trench for themselves.  Now I have a digital camera attached to my trinocular microscope so I could take a picture of it (i am still experimenting with it, not correctly set up yet and I probably will need an extra barlow lens.) I am very happy that I managed to solve the mystery even though it took me several weeks to figure it out. I am sure an experienced watchmaker could point this out in minutes as the pallets did not behave normal, i just did not know that what I can see was not normal that time. Train wheels plate:     Main plate: