Timepiece Noob Here to Learn All He Can

farmerjg

Hello everyone!  I wanted to stop by and say hi.  I came here to learn about my old Fossil watch to see if there's anything I could do to get it running again, but in the spirit of the forum I wanted to introduce myself before jumping straight to questions. :)

I'm sure my story will be similar to most.  The watch itself is likely worth very little and would be cheaper to just replace.  But it has sentimental value to that time of my life and that is something you can't slap a price on.

So, I hope everyone is having a fine day.  It is way too cold here in the midwest states, but I do get to take a vacation to Florida tomorrow, so how bad can it really be?!

Thanks everyone, and I'm eager to learn what I can.

3 minutes ago, farmerjg said:

I came here to learn about my old Fossil watch to see if there's anything I could do to get it running again, but in the spirit of the forum I wanted to introduce myself before jumping straight to questions. :)

What about a front picture, and with back removed?
And are you ready to invest $20-30 is the bare minimum decent tools?

29 minutes ago, jdm said:

What about a front picture, and with back removed?
And are you ready to invest $20-30 is the bare minimum decent tools?

I was going to post all that in the repair forum.  Just trying to stay in the right swim lanes for this subforum.  Long story short, I scratched the copper winding accidentally a long time ago.  It's maybe not repairable, but I've never even really known how to look for a replacement.  I'll summarize more of that in the repair section.

And I love investing in tools (my garage is the bane of my wife's existence), so yes!

38 minutes ago, farmerjg said:

Ithe copper winding

The coil. With a picture one can identify the module which can cost as little as $5. Only a presto hand puller and setters, as well modest drivers and tweezers are needed for that. 

15 minutes ago, jdm said:

The coil. With a picture one can identify the module which can cost as little as $5. Only a presto hand puller and setters, as well modest drivers and tweezers are needed for that. 

Should have gone with my gut!  I typed coil first, then rewrote it as winding.  I'll go pull it out and take a picture.  Thanks for the help.