Looking for Waltham model 1899 parts.

Shane

Hello every one.

My wife has asked me to think about giving a watch to my nephew for his birthday (June I believe).

After spending some time considering my options and looking at what I had to work with.  I thought that building a watch that no two parts came from the same watch (as long no watch was disabled in the process) would peak his interest.  The idea of all that accumulated history (from unused/forgotten parts) running once more, would be amazing.  I have a significant number of Waltham 18s 1899 parts to start with but will probably need the input from others to actually accomplish this.  If this is something you wouldn't mind getting involved in send me a message with what you have and we can talk.

I thought starting with a glint brass main/front plate would be a nice place to start, so if anyone has one please let me know.

Thanks for your time.

Shane

Yes, I have picked up most of what I currently have from this, as well as, other internet sites.  I thought that using this forum I could make contact with a significant number of like minded watch enthusiasts from all walks, continents and countries who might have orphan Waltham 18s model 1899 parts siting unneeded among their spares.  My intentions are to purchase (hopefully at a fair price) barter for or graciously accept all the pieces required, while covering the transportation cost.  I also intend to catalog all who participated, their locations and (when available) the Waltham serial numbers for all the parts acquired.  I ask that no complete or functional watch be cannibalized in order to liberate parts for this project.  My budget is not without its limit and I expect this may take some time to finish but I need to start somewhere.  Yes, admittedly, some may think this to be an odd and pointless undertaking but if realized, I think it should prove to be quite rewarding for both my nephew and I.

Thank you all for any consideration I am afforded.

Shane

For clarity, Waltham never made a model 1899 18s, the model 1899 is a 16s. A quick search of the Bay reveals no less than a dozen model 1899 complete movements available to purchase for less than $50 US. A few of those are runners! At that price point, it should be no trouble to buy a couple, disassemble them and reassemble them as many times as you like for the practice and edification.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 10:00 AM, FLwatchguy73 said:

For clarity, Waltham never made a model 1899 18s, the model 1899 is a 16s.

Yes, sorry, my mistake on the movement size.

On 2/10/2020 at 10:00 AM, FLwatchguy73 said:

A quick search of the Bay reveals no less than a dozen model 1899 complete movements available to purchase for less than $50 US. A few of those are runners! At that price point, it should be no trouble to buy a couple, disassemble them and reassemble them as many times as you like for the practice and edification.

Please see one of my main project objectives, as well as, my financial limitations bellow.

On 2/6/2020 at 12:20 PM, Shane said:

I ask that no complete or functional watch be cannibalized in order to liberate parts for this project.  My budget is not without its limit and I expect this may take some time to finish but I need to start somewhere.

My intentions where to pull only "orphaned" and "unneeded" parts languishing among the spares of fellow watch enthusiasts, once again endowing them with their intended purpose.

At or near $50.00 plus shipping, for a whole movement to pull each and every component from, would quickly exhaust my budget for this and subsequent years, not to mention violating one of my main objectives.

To date I have only received one response to any of my projects that I would consider to have been intentionally rude (it was not from this forum).  We do not and will not all have the same interests, goals or assign things the same values.   I would like to thank oldhippy, Graziano, FLwatchguy73, as well as, any one else who took time from their day to read this or any of my other thoughts and respond here publicly or by privet W.R.T. message.

Shane

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2020 at 1:37 PM, FLwatchguy73 said:

I hope I didn't come across in a bad way

FLwatchguy73, no, you didn't come across in a bad way and I hope that my response didn't ether.  I know most of my thoughts and interests are just outside what the convention would expect from me.  It is just that I wish to know as much as my ability allows and like everyone else, time is divided among all of life's responsibilities.  For a hobby and within what isn't already spoken fore, I must make the largest gain in the shortest amount of the time.  I am under the impression the learning curve may be faster, fitting all the parts together if none of those parts where previously prefit.  I am sure that I will find problems faster and then hopefully their solutions.

I have altered my plans somewhat while still maintaining my main project objectives.  I am now focusing on an Elgin model 5 and have almost every part out of a different watch, all the way down to the the screws, case parts, balance wheel (balancing weights, hairspring, staff, jewel table and impulse jewel).  I have even had to fit a new staff in the escape lever.  I have not replaced the jewels on the escape lever, adjusting them dose look tricky.  Truing and poising have not been finished yet (probably my biggest hurdle) but I now have most of what I should need.  My fingers are crossed.

No, it isn't financially cost effective.  I'm not trying to make money.

Yes, it will require a disproportionately long time in comparison to the perceived value.  I'm not trying to make money.

I am having fun.

Thank you everyone for your time.

Shane