Rado minute / hour hands not turning

Hi all, 

just received this from aregentina. 

Want working initially, so I removed the balance & pallet fork and and wound the crown to give all wheels a good run to clean out any crap.

it was then working great, however, I ha noticed this afternoon that the hour / minute hands were not turning but the second was. 

can anyone think of a reason and fix? 

image.jpg

Hi   I still think aaC58 is right, the fault you describe is indicative of the canon pinion slipping  the cure is to tighten the canon.  A possible is that the hour wheel is damaged or worn, In either event the dial and hands have to come off for investigation.  cheers

Loose canon pinion.

20 minutes ago, RyanGreerMcGilloway said:

I removed the balance & pallet fork and and wound the crown to give all wheels a good run to clean out any crap.

This is a really bad idea. Even if all of the pivots are properly lubricated you are spinning everything up to way beyond its design speed, and if the pivots are dry or are contaminated with micro dust particles then you're just going to grind down the bearing surfaces and cause unnecessary damage. Further more you will cause the hands to spin very fast, accelerating and decelerating them via the slipping interface of the canon pinion, and this could well have caused the canon pinion to loosen up to the point where it now no longer does its job.

Winding just a small amount of power into the m/s with the pallet fork out so that you can see that the train is free is fine, but spinning the movement up fast enough to "clear out any crap" is kind of asking for trouble.

22 minutes ago, RyanGreerMcGilloway said:

The crown moves the hand very freely. As nothing was wrong. 

There should be some resistance felt at the crown when you set the hands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ryan  Can you post a few pictures of the problem.  Try fitting the hands with no dial attached, was there a dial washer on the hour wheel to take up the slack between the dial and front plate ?.  I dont yet understand why the hands dont fit as the top of the hour wheel and cannon have not changed unless some damage has occured in re fitting. Inspect both closely for burrs or out of shape.

Hi all,

thanks for your help? I realised I had lost the cannon pinion and found it on the floor. All of the above issues have now been cured. 

i now have another problem, the balance runs but it stops after a short period of time., it was running fine in the past through.

does anyone have another cures? 

• 1 month later...