Friendly watchmaker

Is such thing existing?

I mean, a Watchmaker which does not consider the ultimate insult a humble hobbyist daring asking for help or advise?

I am sure nobody likes working on the mess eventually created by others unskilled persons and the tendency is to think there is no consideration of the craftsmanship and training required to do the job properly, but on the other side who more than a dedicated hobbyist which did approach the art with humility and is going the basic learning curve can appreciate the ability of a skilled watchmaker, like a god on Earth?

Sure nobody has time to waste and time is money, but with all considered there should still be possibility of dialog with willingness to pay for a service or consult.

If Friendly Watchmakers are still on this planet, it would make sense to give them some visibility in the forum (which by the way also it is not easy to find a friendly forum on this topic... being here among friendly readers is such a big relief!) 

I would be looking for a jewel to be refit (i broke it!) and a tiny movement to be made to work out of two other spares (i gave up). Looking for a friendly watchmaker in Florence or Torino or other places in North Italy

Thanks!

Ascanio

Hi  I think in these times we suffer from protectionism,  where by an apprentice trained watchmaker guards his skill carefully and does not divulge information in the miss guided fear he may be cutting his own throat and loose business as a result, If he encourages an amateur to fiddle with watches and clocks, wrongly in my opinion he may be gaining a friend.

I do understand, especially during these hard times and due to how much skill and patience it takes to master this art. Protectionism is the right word.

This is why I don't judge nor feel offended by the guy that mistreated me this morning: After all I appeared out of the blue in his shop with the corpses of three movements asking help to make one out of the three... He could have made an act of faith and hope to make a friend, but clearly the protectionism part took field. I may have acted in same way in his feets, even if I did put lot of energy in not appearing disrespectful in any way.

Still he sent away a potential recurring customer and admirer...

10 minutes ago, Ascanio said:

Still he sent away a potential recurring customer and admirer...

What did you want him to do? Make a working watch out of out of the three, or help you make a working watch out of the three? If the latter how much time do you think he would spend helping you? It likely would be more than if he did the work himself- which, when building one good watch out of three unknowns is already almost guaranteed to take more time than servicing one complete piece (i.e. more expensive). It's already tricky finding time to actually work at the bench for a watchmaker with a store front.

Did you just want some advice? Honestly for an amateur it is really best to spend time on forums like this gaining skills; when you are decent at basic servicing then you can ask pertinent questions, and if you have built up a relationship as a customer the watchmaker quite likely will be happy to give some advice and tips.

• Like 1

I asked if he would take to work to make one movement working out of the three, and I was willing to pay for the work, I expected to get an approximate quote for the job, that's it... any extra would have been welcome.

He did not like to get the movements on parts - which I may understand. That's it. His choice. I will manage to have it working in one way or another. Still looking for another friendly watchmaker.

6 minutes ago, Ascanio said:

I asked if he would take to work to make one movement working out of the three, and I was willing to pay for the work, I expected to get an approximate quote for the job, that's it... any extra would have been welcome.

He did not like to get the movements on parts - which I may understand. That's it. His choice. I will manage to have it working in one way or another. Still looking for another friendly watchmaker.

He probably turned it down as experience told him even if charging double price it would be more time and effort than doing regular work, which if he's good he probably is overloaded with. I do "box jobs" every now and then, but they are expensive. They do take more time, and there are often surprises. With a higher price, often for a piece that isn't even valuable, the customer expectations go up. Then there is a back and forth and discussion and possibly an unhappy customer because their box job watch has terrible performance on their Chinese timing machine and then that's a voice that will holler out on review sites or forums or to other collectors. This is  pretty much the primary reason any decent watchmaker will only ever do a full service, with a decent cushion in the estimate for potential parts- the possibility of a partial job or "friendly job" turning sour just isn't worth the risk of time and reputation.

Edited by nickelsilver
  • Like 1

Hiascanio

I have come across super friendly watch repairers who would go out of their way to help as they realise it is a profession they love and are all to happy to see it being carried on by younger guys. I have also come across one where I got chatting and as soon as I mentioned I was a hobbiest it was like a Jeckyl and Hyde moment where I was told that unless I was apprenticed in the 50s I would never be any good or a mount to anything. 

This forum is full of very knowledgeable craftspeople who I have found to be very helpful as I have asked some woeful questions but have been answered and helped. Guess in the real world only getting to know a watch maker will allow you to determine their approachability. 

Hope this helps. 

Andy 

• Like 1