What Is The Best Adhesive For Hour Marker

DJT2

When it happened to me I used epoxy adhesive a pin and a loupe. If you look at one of my early posts I actually put the Roman numeral 11 (XI) around the wrong way so the watch finished up with 2, 9 o,clock,s  :D

Edited by clockboy

When it happened to me I used epoxy adhesive a pin and a loupe. If you look at one of my early posts I actually put the Roman numeral 11 (XI) around the wrong way so the watch finished up with 2, 9 o,clock,s :D

Lol to be fair there are 2 x 9 o'clock in a day

I just use the smallest drop of "GS Crystal Hypo Cement Watch Crystal Glue".

I've got some of this on order so when I can find a new marker I'll give it a go. Thanks

I've got some of this on order so when I can find a new marker I'll give it a go. Thanks

Use an oiler to carefully apply a tiny drop on the back of the marker then carefully place it on the dial. Don't place the glue on the dial first, as you my get a small string of the glue across the dial as you draw the oiler away. If you gently place the marker vertically on a piece of Rodico, you'll be able to apply the glue to the back quite easily. Doing it this way it is still easy to pick it up with tweezers without having to get into contortions to place it accurately. A good thing about thing about using this glue, is any excess can be cleaned off with alcohol.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

After Geo's excellent recommendations, I now use gs hypo cement for most things watch related. Eg date wheel overlays, hour markers etc. Got mine off amazon uk

• Like 1

Thank you Geo. I will heed your advise. DJT2, how is R2D2?  :D  Sorry DJT2. I couldn't resist. But I'm sure that wasn't the first time you've heard that comment. However, thank you for your advise. I'm off to Amazon.com USA. 

• Like 1

I try to avoid applying any adhesive to the front of the dial, most hour markers have posts that can be cemented from the back of the dial, of course this does usually mean the extra work of removing the hands and movement, but it's just too easy to ruin a dial with an errand twitch when gluing the front. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have a bottle of clear nail polish on the bench for this purpose. Strings of glue from GS Hypo is too much to handle and I use GS Hypo more for glueing rhinestones. Epoxy is too troublesome for such small job, I usually used it for watch glass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

All good suggestions . Easy to see that we've all been in this situation. I've used the cement that Geo suggests and I have also used loc-tite , the stuff you use on the stem and crown . I usualy put a drop on a flat piece of cardboard and smear it around so it's a thinner layer , then use a small bit of rodico on a pegwood or toothpick to pick up the index or whatever I'm attaching , transfer some of the adhesive from the cardboard to the index then place it on the dial . Usually a 1 shot deal . Hold down the index with a small screwdriver so i can remove the rodico/pegwood . After it dries you can use a sharp pegwood to clean the edge of the index if necessary...usually not.