Does anyone recognise this watch please?

Does anyone recognise this watch please? Sadly the dial has been defaced by the previous owner and the brand name has been rubbed off. If I can positively identify it, I will reproduce the dial markings using water slide decals. The movement is an AS1186/94. Is it possibly a Sully Special?

This one is definitely remaining in my collection [emoji6]

96ed042e0ce98670116ed8463b7f1c3d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Waltham with a 1686 in it..the dial printing was so poorly done that it would not survive breathing on..I expect yours was the same , accidentally, not intentionally defaced.If nobody can ID this corpse , might I suggest It be called John Doe...or maybe Richard Roe ?

54 minutes ago, yankeedog said:

Did you think to take a picture  of it? Put it on your computer  and play with the contrast  and the color  saturation?  The printing might be there,just too faint to read.

If you pop it out of the case so the crystal is not influencing the pictures, and experiment with the lighting too, you may have more luck. You might also try a UV light source, as the original ink may have reacted with the dial in some subtle manner, and changed its UV reflectivity or fluorescence.

I had a quick fiddle with the above image, using a couple of tricks, but I don't see anything new.

Unknown03022020b.jpg

Edited by AndyHull

I have a Waltham with a 1686 in it..the dial printing was so poorly done that it would not survive breathing on..I expect yours was the same , accidentally, not intentionally defaced.If nobody can ID this corpse , might I suggest It be called John Doe...or maybe Richard Roe ?

Hi, thanks for your reply. Definitely defaced - if you look at 1,2 & 3 o’clock positions you can see that the dial has been harshly scrubbed with something like peg wood. All the minute markings and branding was erased from the dial [emoji53]. Jon Doe would really go against the grain I’m afraid

If you pop it out of the case so the crystal is not influencing the pictures, and experiment with the lighting too, you may have more luck. You might also try a UV light source, as the original ink may have reacted with the dial in some subtle manner, and changed its UV reflectivity or fluorescence.
I had a quick fiddle with the above image, using a couple of tricks, but I don't see anything new.

Unknown03022020b.jpg.9fcc11f5c6e726df2a90400ce9667501.jpg

Fantastic idea! I hadn’t considered that. Thank you.

5 hours ago, Deggsie said:

Hi, thanks for your reply. Definitely defaced - if you look at 1,2 & 3 o’clock positions you can see that the dial has been harshly scrubbed with something like peg wood. All the minute markings and branding was erased from the dial emoji53.png. Jon Doe would really go against the grain I’m afraid

Well  next best thing would  to go with the brand  inscribed  on the movement..

On 2/2/2020 at 9:37 PM, Deggsie said:

Does anyone recognise this watch please?

Sorry, just to remind that this section for projects, showing the actual work one does on a watch. To show or ask about a watch in general we have "my watch collection" and "talk about watches". Please excuse me for being pedantic.

absolutely could be a bulova. many were swiss made. but usually the movements were inscribed with the bulova name a unique bulova movement designation, typically they were assembled in the US. more likely it is a styled like a bulova. suggest fleabay search. mens vintage  17 jewel watch.  plug in as many parameters as you have.

A possibility is Clarin. Similarly marked 17 jewels anitmagnetic incabloc.similar font , similar style
clarin.thumb.jpg.39bda4786e34023d0ed5756e4da1e32a.jpg

Ah, yes! Well done Yankeedog - the fish scale effect is so characteristic of the pressed pattern on the outside of the ‘John doe’ dial. Many thanks for your help with this [emoji106]. I’ll get to work researching Clarin watches, and hopefully I’ll find my exact dial. There are some very talented folk on here who have managed to revive dial artwork with none printed decals.
Kind regards, Deggsie

Sorry, just to remind that this section for projects, showing the actual work one does on a watch. To show or ask about a watch in general we have "my watch collection" and "talk about watches". Please excuse me for being pedantic.

Apologies JDM, it’s easy for the conversation to get derailed and for the scope to widen when chatting with intellectual like-minded folk on such a friendly helpful channel. [emoji53]

• Thanks 1