Movement screws

7 minutes ago, LonglineOjoe said:

Hi again, any particular place you folks source spare screws?  And, hopefully not a ridiculous question, would screws from a 7005 movement work in a 6138b?

Have you lost one? Do not count on easy, off-the-shelf sources to order obsolete and very low value parts. Luckily, the wise Japanese minimized screw variations for the sake of industrial efficiency. As you mentioned, chances are that if you  may get away with another screw from a 6106, (or even 700x) that is the base mov't for your chronograph.

I actually bought a 6139b movement in pieces from eBay, knowing it wasn’t complete. After sorting everything it turns out there are only 2 screws;). My logic here, of course, was that I could buy bits and pieces here and there and wind up with a wonderful Bullhead for a fraction of the cost!  I’ll let you know the final cost at the end. :D

5 minutes ago, LonglineOjoe said:

I actually bought a 6139b movement in pieces from eBay, knowing it wasn’t complete. After sorting everything it turns out there are only 2 screws;). My logic here, of course, was that I could buy bits and pieces here and there and wind up with a wonderful Bullhead for a fraction of the cost!  I’ll let you know the final cost at the end. :D

Maybe another donor 6139 would let you make 1 out of 2, so you can get a bit closer to a complete piece before the exorbitant cost of lone spare case/dial/hands/crown/original bracelet of a Bullhead :biggrin:

Unfortunately mov't sold "for parts" are exactly that, can't count't on them for a sure fix and much less for a  shortcut to a very desirable classic timepiece.

I meant to 6138b!  I’m not in it for much so hopefully it’ll just come together piece by piece. I went on a tear these past 2 weeks and bought a bunch of 6138’s and 6139’s. At somewhat reasonable prices. They all need a little something, the hands are wrong on one, another is missing a crown and stem. You saw the dials on the Pogues. Now I have to practice on those 7005’s for awhile!

43 minutes ago, LonglineOjoe said:

I went on a tear these past 2 weeks and bought a bunch of 6138’s and 6139’s. At somewhat reasonable prices. They all need a little something, the hands are wrong on one, another is missing a crown and stem.

Good. I suppose you have been using a purchase agent on Yahoo! Japan to get  "low end" pieces for a cost of Euro 250 - 400 each. Good luck in restoring them to a good level and then collecting or trading according to your inclination.

2 hours ago, LonglineOjoe said:

Hi again, any particular place you folks source spare screws?  And, hopefully not a ridiculous question, would screws from a 7005 movement work in a 6138b?

Don't think so . But some screws from 6309 and other 6 series movement would fit. I have worked on lots of 6309 and 6138/39. They is also different even if they are the same . You can take an older 6139 movement and the look of the screws are different. As for me it tend to get it as good looking as i can . So searching around on my donor movement can be a lot of work. The 7 series screws have a lower and thicker head . The diameter of the threads i think are different to. Many of the screws are available to buy . From places like cousinsuk. Just check the parts number .  May cost some but you should not need every screw there is? 

• Like 1