Rolex Tudor ETA 2484 Servicing

I am servicing a vintage Rolex Tudor for a friend. It has an ETA 2484 movement. I, of course am very nervous doing this as I typically do pocket watches as you know. Do you have any manuals on the breakdown of this watch? As well, are there any tricks I should know while disassembling or assembling. Very scary as this is a $3500 watch and I really don’t want to Frig it up.

Thanks, Cheers

e553fb4f196eb70f606f203c1f939a81.jpgebb90b81d35d3cd468b63be8124ad378.jpgc054d1c75a30d187467a59c71cf8cdc8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi there I don't have a manual but I am certain that movement is based on an eta 2452 and if you have a screwed hairspring I have some  spare coming, let me know If you need oiling recommendations, use the technical sheet for the 2824-2....

Could you provide the link for the technical sheet. And big thanks.

As @Graziano mentioned that he thought the movement was based on the ETA 2452, I thought you might find this post (ETA 2472 - Disassembling the automatic device) of mine useful. Also, if the date complication is similar to that of the ETA 2472 you might also find this post useful (ETA 2472 - Disassembling the date mechanism).

Also, if this movement has a setting lever screw similar to the setting lever screw of an ETA 2472 that I serviced somewhat recently, it is extremely important to replace the setting lever screw before the barrel bridge is replaced. This is trickier than you might think as the setting lever screw can be replaced after the barrel bridge has been replaced but will lead to several problems that can be hard to foresee. You can read more about my ordeal with the setting lever screw here and here.

So, if you your movement indeed is similar to my ETA 2472 you'll find my complete service walkthrough of it here including my lubrication suggestions based on ETA's technical communication for the 2824-2 as suggested by Graziano. The walkthrough consists of about 130 disassembly pictures and about 130 assembly pictures.

Good luck!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

As @Graziano mentioned that he thought the movement was based on the ETA 2452, I thought you might find this post (ETA 2472 - Disassembling the automatic device) of mine useful. Also, if the date complication is similar to that of the ETA 2472 you might also find this post useful (ETA 2472 - Disassembling the date mechanism).

Also, if this movement has a setting lever screw similar to the setting lever screw of an ETA 2472 that I serviced somewhat recently, it is extremely important to replace the setting lever screw before the barrel bridge is replaced. This is trickier than you might think as the setting lever screw can be replaced after the barrel bridge has been replaced but will lead to several problems that can be hard to foresee. You can read more about my ordeal with the setting lever screw here and here.

So, if you your movement indeed is similar to my ETA 2472 you'll find my complete service walkthrough of it here including my lubrication suggestions based on ETA's technical communication for the 2824-2 as suggested by Graziano. The walkthrough consists of about 130 disassembly pictures and about 130 assembly pictures.

Good luck!

That's a great walkthrough :thumbsu:

Edited by Graziano
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

Maybe this thread will help?

Hardly, as it's the duplicate of this one.

jdrichard, please do not post duplicate topics, and post in the proper section. Otherwise it just makes difficult to help you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jdrichard said:

That is strange. You just turn the dial until the date sets.

Very common in older Wristwatch movements with date complications. It just requires the tedious practise of cranking forwards. A lot of people who wear watches in rotation tend to skip date setting on such watches.

Quick set requires a separate cam which engages the date wheel teeth on the first pull out point to facilitate the rapid advance so it'll be very evident when you strip the dial side as it'll be connected to the keyless works where the date advance is usually over by the 9/10 on the dial position driven by the hour wheel.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/3/2020 at 6:39 AM, Nucejoe said:

Date changes as hands advance past hr24. At this point turn hands anticlock to hr8 then forward past hr24, this will change the date. 

Just be a bit careful if the cannon pinion sits so hard on the center wheel that it rotates train wheels in the wrong/opposite direction making the seconds hand move anti-clockwise. There's a video on the YouTube Watch Repair Channel about this. I'll see if I can find it a bit later.

Oh BTW, well done! :Bravo:

• Like 1

Just be a bit careful if the cannon pinion sits so hard on the center wheel that it rotates train wheels in the wrong/opposite direction making the seconds hand move anti-clockwise. There's a video on the YouTube Watch Repair Channel about this. I'll see if I can find it a bit later.
Oh BTW, well done! :Bravo:

Thank you. Returned to owner and He is very satisfied: owns an antique store in Winnipeg Canada.