EB 8371-67 endshake.

Im in the process of overhauling a lucerne chronograph running the EB 8371-67 single jewel movement.  It is a very rudimentary,  pin pallet movement with a simple chronograph function. The problem im having is the balance has significant endshake. The pivots on the balance are intact.  The watch only runs in the dial down position but is running very fast. If you turn it dial up,  it immediately stalls. I do not own a staking  set so I have no way of running the lower jewel setting in deeper. The balance "jewels" on this movement aren't actually jewels,  but are polished metal caps that ride under a standard novodiac shock spring. Does anyone have experience with these types of parts? Do they wear out,  are the balance pivots worn out,  both? What are my options? Thank you for any advice. 

20200126_152204.jpg

20200130_121335.jpg

I would first look at the tips of the balance staff with strong magnification. I would not be surprised if one of the balance pivots it snapped off. If not then the lower jewel setting will have to be moved in a touch. However without a jeweling tool or a staking tool with micro adjustment attachment then adjustment will be problematic to say the least. The tiniest of movements make a big difference. 

• Thanks 2

I guess my question now is, Does anyone have the tools, experience and desire to perform this for me? I'm willing to pay for the service if a reasonable price can be negotiated. That said, should I hunt for a parts donor and try that if it's cheaper? This isn't hugely important to me, but I've invested a lot of time in this watch and I'd like to see it though. thanks again

4 hours ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

Come to think of it, Mark has never addressed an issue of this type on his Watch Repair YouTube Channel. I'd gladly volunteer my movement for the lesson. If it can be negotiated and there is an interest, I'm very willing! :thumbsu:

I have experience with these single jewel movements. I have had a few of these french branded watches. Lucerne wolbrook rego chateau and cimier. These movements were not really made to be serviced. Anything can be serviced but this movement will be a real challenge. I suspect a broken pivot on the staff. If thats the case you will never get a new staff for it so you will need someone who can make one on a lathe.

5 hours ago, saswatch88 said:

I have experience with these single jewel movements. I have had a few of these french branded watches. Lucerne wolbrook rego chateau and cimier. These movements were not really made to be serviced. Anything can be serviced but this movement will be a real challenge. I suspect a broken pivot on the staff. If thats the case you will never get a new staff for it so you will need someone who can make one on a lathe.

Both pivots are intact, I checked under strong magnification. That does not mean that they aren't worn, especially considering the "jewels" are actually a polished metal cap. Metal on metal wear is possible, but I have no way of confirming this other than what I'm able to observe.

7 hours ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

Both pivots are intact, I checked under strong magnification. That does not mean that they aren't worn, especially considering the "jewels" are actually a polished metal cap. Metal on metal wear is possible, but I have no way of confirming this other than what I'm able to observe.

Anytime a movement stops in any position its due to a pivot problem, wether it be bent worn pivots causing too much shake, and broken or cracked jewels (but not in your case) It could also be the pallet, too much shake in the pallet can cause the safety roller to touch the impulse pin causing it to stop.