Vostok 2409 First Watch Repair

Hey All

I am brand new here!  And this is my first attempt to service a movement.

What brought me here is my Vostok amphibia which is currently not working. I believe the movement to be a 2414 or a 2409. 

The watch has stopped running, and makes a terrible grinding noise when I attempt to wind it. (This occurred after I removed and reinserted the stem).

Any help would be awesome!

I intend to strip the watch down clean it oil it and put it back together!

Warmest

Bradhead

Hi   and welcome to the forum.  I take it the watch was ok before the stem was removed and re inserted, For what reason was that done ? .   The fault seems as that it is self inflicted in as much that the stem/keyless work are missaligned or damaged. I would desist from continuing to wind the watch and to investigate what's gone wrong. the likelyhood is that the crown and or castle wheels are or have been displaced.  The only answer is to remove the dial and hands and observe the keyless work alignment as regards to the stem fitting and engagement with the ratchet wheel(great wheel) only then when its working ok proceed to do the maintenance.  I Have attached the tech sheets for both calibres   hope they will provide some guidence. 

Wostok 2409.pdf Wostok 2414.pdf

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bradhead said:

Hey All

I am brand new here!  And this is my first attempt to service a movement.

What brought me here is my Vostok amphibia which is currently not working. I believe the movement to be a 2414 or a 2409. 

The watch has stopped running, and makes a terrible grinding noise when I attempt to wind it. (This occurred after I removed and reinserted the stem).

Any help would be awesome!

I intend to strip the watch down clean it oil it and put it back together!

Warmest

Bradhead

Welcome Bradhead and congrats on your choice of movement. I started out with Vostoks myself and had an absolutely amazing time with them taking my first steps at tinkering, servicing, and repairing. When new, the Ratfaced git's Vostok videos were very useful and inspiring to me. Anyway, when and if you want to get serious I do recommend www.watchrepairlessons.com. The Ratfaced git (Dan) is a self-taught retired car mechanic, and he doesn't always do things by best practice. Nevertheless useful and inspiring!

You don't have to guess about the calibre if you know it's a Vostok 24XX something. If it is a mechanical (wind-up) Vostok without a date complication it is a 2409, otherwise a 2414. If it is an automatic watch without a date complication it is a 2415, otherwise a 2416. Either way all of these movements are very similar, with the added date complication being the only difference, and most parts (with a few exceptions) are interchangable.

Now, about your watch; 

Well, it's always difficult to speculate but my guess is that you didn't get the stem pressed in all the way. This is a somewhat common problem with the Vostoks. I suggest you grab the stem on the inside of the case with tweezers (or very pointed pliers) and try to press the stem into the movement the last bit as far as you can. You need to use a bit of force, but be careful. Sometimes you hear a click when the stem seats itself properly.

For spares you can pick up a lot of movements on eBay for next to nothing and then scavenge them for parts which is good and fun practice. For example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2409A-B-caliber-VOSTOK-Watch-Movements-Altered-Art-6-pcs-415/153773928815

Good luck and please keep us updated on your progress!

• Like 1

@watchweasol @VWatchie

Hey!

Thank you so much for taking the time to get back to me!

@watchweasol - Yes I am resisting doing anything to it and will do as you recommended and take the dial of before progressing. 

Edit: The reason for the removal of the stem was to, re seat a hand which had which fallen off.

@VWatchie - Thanks for all the on going help, will dive into the resources you pointed me to.

Thanks again!

Edited by Bradhead

The 2409 is pretty  simple  and robust, although  I confess a preference  for the 2209..proceed slowly..take pictures as you  go..be very careful  with the balance  staff . If this is your first attempt  you may very well  mess it up..luckily  used 2409 can be bought all day long on ebay or etsy for very little  money.  To do  this right  you are going to need some decent  screw  drivers and tweezers.. and a movement  holder. Economy grade is ok for starters..

• Like 1

One other  caveat...beware  of the JESUS  spring..small  little  springs  in the works  that fly off to only God  knows  where..when  working on or around  them  I like to put the watch inside a gallon  sized plastic bag..I work on top of a sheet  of copier  paper.. the springs  get contained and you can spot them  easily  against  the white paper. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 1:04 PM, watchweasol said:

Hi   and welcome to the forum.  I take it the watch was ok before the stem was removed and re inserted, For what reason was that done ? .   The fault seems as that it is self inflicted in as much that the stem/keyless work are missaligned or damaged. I would desist from continuing to wind the watch and to investigate what's gone wrong. the likelyhood is that the crown and or castle wheels are or have been displaced.  The only answer is to remove the dial and hands and observe the keyless work alignment as regards to the stem fitting and engagement with the ratchet wheel(great wheel) only then when its working ok proceed to do the maintenance.  I Have attached the tech sheets for both calibres   hope they will provide some guidence. 

Wostok 2409.pdf 4.03 MB · 11 downloads Wostok 2414.pdf 4.58 MB · 8 downloads

Thank you Watchweasol for posting these two parts list ! :thumbsu:

Do you happen to have the parts-list for Vostok 2416b as well ?

Kind regards ...

Edited by Endeavor

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The OP has requested to be removed from the forum, I have no idea why as he did not state a reason - but it seems he got the help he wanted. 

But the thread will remain active as the information here may still help others in the future.

• Like 1