1911 Elgin Pocket Watch I found today.

I had time to kill before an appointment today so I popped into a local thrift store and asked if they had any watches, The lady rummaged under the counter and brought out a box of random quartzs and, under a bunch of Genevas and "Frozen" watches, I saw this:

WDHUz8n.jpg

Made in 1911, grade 336, 18s, 17 jewels... I said, "Yes, I think I'll have this one, please". 

DfVRp5u.jpg

It will run nicely sitting on its crystal but the balance wheel catches on the underside of the balance cock when turned on its back. There seems to be a substantial bend in the hairspring that may be the cause. 

n04Wj8C.jpg

I think I'll hold on to this one for a while. 

• Like 3

Unscrew the hairspring stud screw while the balance is still installed (will make things easier) and remove the balance afterwards. Don't unscrew it too much so that it falls out of the slot.

Then you just remove the hairspring and balance like any watch, yes.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, MyFavoriteObsession said:

I've only had minimal experience taking balance assemblies in and out of wristwatches so I'm not sure I'm capable of this repair. Is removing the balance cock to check the pivot on this Elgin more or less similar to the procedure on a wristwatch? 

have you looked at a video or read up on removing the balance.      vin

2 hours ago, MyFavoriteObsession said:

I had time to kill before an appointment today so I popped into a local thrift store and asked if they had any watches, The lady rummaged under the counter and brought out a box of random quartzs and, under a bunch of Genevas and "Frozen" watches, I saw this:

WDHUz8n.jpg

Made in 1911, grade 336, 18s, 17 jewels... I said, "Yes, I think I'll have this one, please". 

DfVRp5u.jpg

It will run nicely sitting on its crystal but the balance wheel catches on the underside of the balance cock when turned on its back. There seems to be a substantial bend in the hairspring that may be the cause. 

n04Wj8C.jpg

I think I'll hold on to this one for a while. 

the hair spring can be reshaped with "rounding plyers".   i'll post a photo.    vin

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chopin said:

Unscrew the hairspring stud screw while the balance is still installed (will make things easier) and remove the balance afterwards.

I removed the balance as you described and the pivots looked really good on both ends. The jewels also looked good. Put back together and it still did the same thing. Then I noticed the hairspring is touching the underside of the balance bridge when the watch is turned onto it's back, preventing it from swinging freely. Oh well, there's time to think on it. 

When the hairspring and balance are in place can you try to figure out why it is touching the underside ? Best to do that before taking any measures such as modifying components.

Is the hairspring itself horizontal as it should be ? Are there coils that are not synchronized with the rest of the hairspring ? What about the hairspring leaving the stud, is there any issue there ?

Update: I reshaped the hairspring just a bit and it's no longer touching the underside, however it still stops working when turned over so you and Nickelsilver probably right about it being a pivot or jewel. When I turn the watch over, I hear "tick tick tick tick scratch scratch clink" and it has stopped. Do you think that indicates a broken balance pivot?

I've only had minimal experience taking balance assemblies in and out of wristwatches so I'm not sure I'm capable of this repair. Is removing the balance cock to check the pivot on this Elgin more or less similar to the procedure on a wristwatch? 

I can actually make a new balance staff on a lathe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Remove the balance complete as you would regular ones.

1- Unscrew the stud screw.

2-Remove the cock screw, lift the cock balance assembly( balance not dangling)

3- Turn the boot, check that HS is free to get out of regulator slot.

4- Grab the cock with tweezers balance dangling, hold about a cm or less above bench, push the stud out. Let the balance drop on bench or parts tray.

Diagnostics starts with a close up of pivots. Damaged or worn short pivots are expected.

Pivot shoulder rubs on jewel if pivot is short.