Reverse Watch Crystal lookup tool for W-C Crystals?

Hi all.  It's my first post here.  I just acquired a bunch of vintage watch crystals...most with the "W-C" (Watch-Craft) branding on the stickers.  My thought was to search for the code on the sticker to see if I could find a beat up watch online that it fits, replace the crystal and make a couple bucks.  I haven't had any luck searching.  Here's an example of what's on the stickers "W-C, Gruen, 4MC252, 224".  Any thoughts on how to go about my searches?

You're not going to have much luck with this. Besides, those crystals might very well fit other watches/models as well.

Most people don't put up watches for sale with all the numbers that they find on them in the title so therefore it's not going to be easy.

You could look up individual watch models and then try to find them online. (still not easy) Maybe if you can find images of them in old catalogues or printed ads.

Edited by Chopin
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, clayromer said:

Hi all.  It's my first post here.  I just acquired a bunch of vintage watch crystals...most with the "W-C" (Watch-Craft) branding on the stickers.  My thought was to search for the code on the sticker to see if I could find a beat up watch online that it fits, replace the crystal and make a couple bucks.  I haven't had any luck searching.  Here's an example of what's on the stickers "W-C, Gruen, 4MC252, 224".  Any thoughts on how to go about my searches?

I suspect you are more likely to make your money back by selling the crystals individually, but you will still need to figure out what they fit, and for that Ofreil, or even just a good old fashioned pair of calipers would be best. Measure the diameter (or shape), thickness, profile etc.

I suspect that there may not be much interest, unless they fit particularly popular models. Personally,  I would hang on to them, and use them as the first potential source when you are looking for a new crystal for any future watch purchases.

I have a fairly large collection (several hundreds of various crystals, all bought in similar job lots of maybe 50 or so at a time), to the one you describe, and all picked up for not much more than the cost of a couple of good crystals of known profile.

It is surprising how often the stash yields the correct type.

Edited by AndyHull
typo me->be
  • Like 2