Movement identification

Jordan

Hi,

Can anyone help identify this movement please. I received this in a job lot of cheap project watches - Spares & repairs. 

The watch is supposed to be a Debaufre GMT Ocean 2 but I suspect it's fake because there's no letters or numbers on the movement and it just has a cheap feel & look to it. Plus there's a type of retaining metal ring surrounding the movement. Is that normal or common? 

Any help to identify this would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

IMG_20200125_002620.jpg

I'll go with your instinct that this is a fake! ETA is the foremost provider of movements to the Swiss watch industry but these are often copied in what are usually referred to as 'Asian clone' movements.That shock spring on your movement is a giveaway for starters.

If you google 'eta clone' there is lots of info on this subject and if you look at the google images returned you may be able to get closer to the info you're after.

Back in days of mechanical watches, the market for ETA was so huge that the brand couldn't have possibly done without producing variety of grades in Asia. 

Production is Asia doesn't mean fake or replica, though inferior quality  to swiss made ones of the same category . Most any low to mid range priced ETA is mixture of parts from different manufacturers,  so where do you draw the line to distinguish between genuine ,Asian made etc.

Watchmaker got a solid point though, that shock spring :cool:.