Glass Crystal polishing

At long long last, I have figured out how to remove all the scratches from a pocket watch glass crystal.

1) sanding disk on a dremel tool at setting of 20.

2) just go back and forth until all the scratches are gone. Used 240 grit disk at a fast speed = 3000 grit.

be09cdea0c0dc024e56c40a907f4c53c.jpgd0751b4512aca5bc91b4d84255f83e1b.jpg6878909335f4929f1c7a516379049508.jpga2e52a97d6647df822d935bf0d103243.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is the photo in the bottom center the finished product ? I can still see some lines. Should try some toothpaste or polywatch to completely remove those lines.

Will do, but it was night and day. Btw, poly watch does not work on glass crystals

9 minutes ago, jdrichard said:

Will do, but it was night and day. Btw, poly watch does not work on glass crystals

Correct. Not all abrasives are created equal, so you got no haziness left by using such a corse grit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With my limited knowledge I have found a quick & effective way to remove minor scuffs & scratching from my "plastic / acrylic " watch cystals......crystal stays in watch case. I use a fine grit sandpaper.....not sure but believe 225U.....very fine....... I wet crystal with a few water drops & by hand do circular & cris cross, maintaining moisture, clear residue & repeat 3 or 4 times, always with moisture. 

This leaves the "plastic / acrylic " crystal with a hazey look. I then use toothpaste....put a small dab on dry face cloth & take watch crystal & with some pressure pushing down into face cloth , toothpaste.......hold section of face cloth tightly & rotate crystal side down circular movements for about a minute (....area drys up....) Repeat a couple of times & clean crystal with damp cloth. I have had good successs geting very clean & clear crystals......but will leave marks on face cloth you use.......really upsets the wife.....

Dan   ( childhoodantique )

Hi You can achieve the same results without the we & Dry  using Jewelers rouge or Autosolvol  a car chrome cleaner.   Use the rouge (red Powder) on a dampened cloth and plenty of elbow grease for both methods.            Please dont use the face cloth you will get Horology a bad name:D not only that but it could lead to banishment and sharing with the dog.

Is the photo in the bottom center the finished product ? I can still see some lines. Should try some toothpaste or polywatch to completely remove those lines.

I have actually improved the process by using a 600 grit sanding barrel. No lines. Then finish off with this stuff....works great on glass.3824be196e597be66d6be8f7759a2007.jpg

• Like 1