Eterna 1429u update

ITProDad

So were in agreement it's probably not the balance wheel or the jewels but? So when you get your other movements before disassembling them check out the end shake see if they feel the same as the current watch. The balance jewel assemblies in this are different than others and it's possible that the working just fine but when you're verifying by grabbing it it may appear to be too much.
The problem for remote diagnostics is we rely on your observation your skill set and as you still learning like we all are but your farther down in the learning curve there may be things that you're not seeing or grasping. Which makes remote diagnostics much more difficult.
So when the Watch is running and your rotating it around in your hand does the balance wheel jump out of the jewels Which would occur if there was an excessive quantity of end shake? Then looking at the pictures of the timing machine as there is a definite difference between dial-up and dial down that would indicate there's a problem but not necessarily the pivots/you will assembly. Does your hairspring look absolutely flat this is one that's really hard to see sometimes it's just touching the balance arms were really really close and when you turn it upside down maybe it is touching.
Then the balance protection system was trying to find somebody with another picture of your movement this link is interesting in that apparently the system is they are's? Except I've seen it somewhere before but it's unfortunately there's lots of variations of protection systems.
https://17jewels.info/movements/e/eterna/eterna-1408u/
Then you have a picture of the dial side of the balance jewel assembly we could see?
Other things of interest everyone should have the physical and/or PDF copy of this book it has interesting stuff. So for instance someone a snip out some things of interest.
https://mccawcompany.com/featured-products/bestfit-encyclopedia-books-111-111a-digital-download-pdf-version.html
One of things bothering me is the movement number has the letter U and I might have possibly discovered why? So it looks like that may refer to the particular balance protection system. So I have two pages out of the bestfit book and Snipped to section out of the parts List. It looks like the best way to buy these would be the complete assembly if they were still available which the probably not. Or find another movement on eBay exactly what you've done and swapped from their once you verify whatever the problem is or is not.

833628289_helpfulperhaps.JPG.520a38df4e98345565ab40dc3bdc7542.JPG
1172344095_EternaU1.JPG.e936e68b3dc3113fa8c38b7a52e0249a.JPG
1892201544_upperandlowerassembly.JPG.3c23d5cd10613ddf4e6baa97a9eefdd5.JPG

Thank you JR. I bought an electronic copy of the book. But it much more difficult to read, due to page image quality, than the snippets you posted.
I do believe the balance pivots are slipping out of the jewel holes when it is moved about. But not far enough to stop ticking. I will now pursue the premise that the staff is too short. Either due to ware or an incorrect staff or balance. Do you have any suggestions on books listing interchangeability of parts? I have a quite the collection of NOS balance complete and staffs. Wondering if I may be lucky enough to have the correct one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So these snippets that I have did come out of the electronic edition. It really helps that I have the paper edition so I've had a lot of time going through them and grasping what's in there. You can do a search for the words at least it's searchable. Some more in the book is balance staffs you can get the staff number that your watch is supposed to have and somewhere else it will listed dimensions.

There's also a website that will do that and the bonus the website you can purchase staffs. So I snipped off the image from the website.

Then as long as your pivots are the correct size and they haven't ground off broken off whatever it's probably the right staff. The likelihood of finding an incorrect staff and getting everything to fit and being too short is very unlikely. But having somebody staff and grind the pivots shorter which you should visually be able to see could be a problem. But if it looks right it probably is the right staff. The only way are really gone billet tell us to get another watch and look at It.

https://www.balancestaffs.com/eterna.php

1429 staff.JPG

So these snippets that I have did come out of the electronic edition. It really helps that I have the paper edition so I've had a lot of time going through them and grasping what's in there. You can do a search for the words at least it's searchable. Some more in the book is balance staffs you can get the staff number that your watch is supposed to have and somewhere else it will listed dimensions.
There's also a website that will do that and the bonus the website you can purchase staffs. So I snipped off the image from the website.
Then as long as your pivots are the correct size and they haven't ground off broken off whatever it's probably the right staff. The likelihood of finding an incorrect staff and getting everything to fit and being too short is very unlikely. But having somebody staff and grind the pivots shorter which you should visually be able to see could be a problem. But if it looks right it probably is the right staff. The only way are really gone billet tell us to get another watch and look at It.

https://www.balancestaffs.com/eterna.php
1237436248_1429staff.JPG.d5e0efb063476c52cc2c12ee4e48eb69.JPG

Thank you! I do appreciate and enjoy these discussions with you, Nucejoe and others!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the pivots are OK and the end-shake too much I would also check that the balance cock is not bent upwards. If that is fine I would consider driving the mainplate balance jewel setting deeper a bit. You will have to check that the impulse jewel is still within the horns.

Yes it is a bodge but whose to say it wasn't driven deeper earlier? ie when replacing a shock spring etc.

Anilv

• Like 1

Well, the new movement and runs great before I serviced it.   I will still clean and oil it.  It had no end shake like the original one shown here in this stream.  As for the original, I’m stumped.  The pivots look good.  Hair spring is flat and coiled well.  A bit of rust but nothing that should affect the amplitude or beat error variation between positions.

i removed the hair spring from the balance staff.  It may bot have been seated properly.  After I reclean and put it back on the balance, I will make sure the collet is tight and straight.  That still doesn’t explain the shake.   I tried a shimmy under the cock, no dice.  Checked all the plates and gears.  Everything is in place, tight, level and moving well.   I’m going to put it aside for a while and think on this one.  Not giving up, just taking a break.  I have a 1950’s Elgin waiting in the wings.  Maybe a confidence booster will spark my problem solving juices.   

here’s a few pics of the balance and spring.

3CE37C70-C053-45B8-9D7F-5D0327868B88.jpeg

0B11494D-B85B-4612-AF1D-61EBB77626D1.jpeg

225FBF2D-3728-406C-A37D-5A66752C1581.jpeg

E24C9D0C-5A26-467D-9EDD-81D3C6D3564D.jpeg

E22A268F-FC49-4B32-96BE-BF5ABBDE7ACD.jpeg

B0328798-F228-4401-94C8-AAA3A1F1EC2C.jpeg