Eterna 1429u update

Question

Well, it’s working. Stripped it down to the screw, jewel and gear. The balance staff pins look perfect and so too do the balance jewel holes. But I’m still getting a great deal of end shake that. Can’t explain. The usual suspects: 1. Someone before me replaced the balance staff with “one that would work” and it’s not quite right. 2. Some before me replaced the balance jewels with “ones that would work”. 3. ???

Before I order a balance complete and new balance jewels, if I can find them, anyone have any ideas I may have missed?

Here are som pictures.

Dial up

Dial down

Stem up

The entire movement

And my new $16 macro lens for my phone, instead of using a loop.75b6709ac9caeb6ba7ad8f04fc29e4b5.jpg8a0e6e38be9beb8cd53779c5d8f78952.jpg73f1cb527dde559555d0b83166630fd4.jpg6d42e3f0cf0058071441c1dc4658c03e.jpgebf63b8858a98228e924ced762ac54e1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

So these snippets that I have did come out of the electronic edition. It really helps that I have the paper edition so I've had a lot of time going through them and grasping what's in there. You can do a search for the words at least it's searchable. Some more in the book is balance staffs you can get the staff number that your watch is supposed to have and somewhere else it will listed dimensions.

There's also a website that will do that and the bonus the website you can purchase staffs. So I snipped off the image from the website.

Then as long as your pivots are the correct size and they haven't ground off broken off whatever it's probably the right staff. The likelihood of finding an incorrect staff and getting everything to fit and being too short is very unlikely. But having somebody staff and grind the pivots shorter which you should visually be able to see could be a problem. But if it looks right it probably is the right staff. The only way are really gone billet tell us to get another watch and look at It.

https://www.balancestaffs.com/eterna.php

1429 staff.JPG

So these snippets that I have did come out of the electronic edition. It really helps that I have the paper edition so I've had a lot of time going through them and grasping what's in there. You can do a search for the words at least it's searchable. Some more in the book is balance staffs you can get the staff number that your watch is supposed to have and somewhere else it will listed dimensions.
There's also a website that will do that and the bonus the website you can purchase staffs. So I snipped off the image from the website.
Then as long as your pivots are the correct size and they haven't ground off broken off whatever it's probably the right staff. The likelihood of finding an incorrect staff and getting everything to fit and being too short is very unlikely. But having somebody staff and grind the pivots shorter which you should visually be able to see could be a problem. But if it looks right it probably is the right staff. The only way are really gone billet tell us to get another watch and look at It.

https://www.balancestaffs.com/eterna.php
1237436248_1429staff.JPG.d5e0efb063476c52cc2c12ee4e48eb69.JPG

Thank you! I do appreciate and enjoy these discussions with you, Nucejoe and others!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the pivots are OK and the end-shake too much I would also check that the balance cock is not bent upwards. If that is fine I would consider driving the mainplate balance jewel setting deeper a bit. You will have to check that the impulse jewel is still within the horns.

Yes it is a bodge but whose to say it wasn't driven deeper earlier? ie when replacing a shock spring etc.

Anilv

• Like 1

Well, the new movement and runs great before I serviced it.   I will still clean and oil it.  It had no end shake like the original one shown here in this stream.  As for the original, I’m stumped.  The pivots look good.  Hair spring is flat and coiled well.  A bit of rust but nothing that should affect the amplitude or beat error variation between positions.

i removed the hair spring from the balance staff.  It may bot have been seated properly.  After I reclean and put it back on the balance, I will make sure the collet is tight and straight.  That still doesn’t explain the shake.   I tried a shimmy under the cock, no dice.  Checked all the plates and gears.  Everything is in place, tight, level and moving well.   I’m going to put it aside for a while and think on this one.  Not giving up, just taking a break.  I have a 1950’s Elgin waiting in the wings.  Maybe a confidence booster will spark my problem solving juices.   

here’s a few pics of the balance and spring.

3CE37C70-C053-45B8-9D7F-5D0327868B88.jpeg

0B11494D-B85B-4612-AF1D-61EBB77626D1.jpeg

225FBF2D-3728-406C-A37D-5A66752C1581.jpeg

E24C9D0C-5A26-467D-9EDD-81D3C6D3564D.jpeg

E22A268F-FC49-4B32-96BE-BF5ABBDE7ACD.jpeg

B0328798-F228-4401-94C8-AAA3A1F1EC2C.jpeg