Glue down dial

vext01

Hello everyone,

Having sourced a new pallet fork for my S726A project, I've now reconstructed the movement and it's happily ticking away!

I went to put the dial back on and remembered that it has no feet. The dial was glued down. It's an old Seiko 5 from (at a guess) the 80s. I don't know if that was common practice at the time?

This raises the question of how to reattach the dial. I could glue it down using a tiny bit of glue from my glue gun, but I wonder if there is a less permanent method? What would you recommend?

I know you can solder on feet, but I doubt I have the skill to get that right.

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

If the watch has calendar works on it sticking dials on can cause problems.

It does indeed have calendar machinery. Day and date.

7 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

I have and do solder feet back on having made the machine to do it 

The machine?

As it happens, I do have soldering experience (electronics is another of my hobbies), but I'm worried that it'd be too fiddly.

If you were to do it by hand, I guess you'd mark the positions, then solder using one hand to hold the pin with tweezers, whilst using the iron in the other? Would you use flux?

10 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

dial dots

This looks easier. If I were to use those, I'd have to apply them to the movement holder. Should work ok?

Thanks

Hi  yes you would use flux. You dip the wire. in the flux and position on the dial, or use solder paste which already contains the flux.  A third hand tool holds the wire and using a small blow torch heat the wire away from the dial. The heat travels down the wire and melts the solder.  A bit fiddly setting up but it works. I personaly use a cold soldering machine using an arc to melt the solder.  Home build not hard to do.