Hello everyone,

I would like to thank AndyHull, as well as, another member (at this moment I can't remember who it was) for graciously allowing others to rummage in what appears to be their own PDF libraries for the benefit of all and would encourage others to do the same.  If there aren't any issues in developing a communal library/depository, I would also like to encourage this as well.  If one does exist please direct us all to it.

I have recently found a great program for managing PDFs, https://calibre-ebook.com, give it a try.

Thanks for all the great information I've gleaned from here/you so far.

Shane

6 hours ago, Shane said:

Hello everyone,

I would like to thank AndyHull, as well as, another member (at this moment I can't remember who it was) for graciously allowing others to rummage in what appears to be their own PDF libraries for the benefit of all and would encourage others to do the same.  If there aren't any issues in developing a communal library/depository, I would also like to encourage this as well.  If one does exist please direct us all to it.

I have recently found a great program for managing PDFs, https://calibre-ebook.com, give it a try.

Thanks for all the great information I've gleaned from here/you so far.

Shane

Its no wonder te printed word is disappearing. I prefer the printed word  BUT !!!! You have macOS 10.13.6. The application requires macOS 10.14 or later.

14 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  aynone who requires data /tech sheets only has to post the request on the site,there are enough members with enough data on hand to be able to help to locate any tech/data if they are available.          

Keeping the data in house so to speak

So, Each request would require a posting and another for the answer and couple of more for parties to thank each other.

There is no guarantee there will always be a link provider on the forum and what crime has the provider committed to have to repost same link many many times over and again. 

Such library should also be made available to public. 

More members so to speak.

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Hmmmm I get your point.     there used to be a resources page at one time where a lot of pdf files were put but I see it has stopped.   I often wonder about copyright on some of these files and if they are open source.  Perhaps I should keep my opinions to myself in future.

JohnR, OH, clockboy and a few others previously posted such links, facts are you boosted the quantity considerably and a library is much needed. 

When the resources page was available I tried many times to gain access and to introduce some PDFs but to no avail.  I agree in as much a library would definitly be of benifit to many users of this site and would gladly contribute the many tech sheets I have spread about  three computers and a wealth of other information also from the watch and clock industry.   The SCWF (seiko) site has an inhouse scource which is  open to all site members.  

I don't think there are really "hard to obtain"  service / parts PDFs, except maybe the distribution controlled ones from Omega or Rolex, and who know about real high-end horlogerie , maybe they don't even produce any, just rely on "oral tradition" and enjoy the profits. Look on Cousins or SCWF, they have most of them and if you send them (Cousins) one they don't have they will publish it.  No worries on loosing info and we're here to further preserve it.

• Like 1

I am always appreciative of the generosity I receive from others, not just with respect to their knowledge but the time it takes for them to extend it (a value I would like to instill within my grandson).  Even the most amiable of people can become frustrated with taking time away from their own interests and repeatedly helping those of us with less experience.

Thank you.

With respect to my personal situation (not having internet access from home, working ten hours per day and commuting three) downloading blocks of PDFs while I'm working and searching through them at home would be ideal.

Information necessary for a niche interest can be difficult to reliably find from time to time and fade into obscurity as the natural attrition of the people participating, as well as, the corporate entities supporting them takes hold.  The Boyscout within believes,  having the information under the control of the people most likely to make use of it sounds to be a logical goal.

Thanks for your attention, consideration and yes, your opinions.

Shane

I am also finding within my limitations of Horticultural nomenclature and industry abbreviations, information isn't readily available within the time I have to invest.  I am working on the former, I can do nothing for the latter.

Thanks again.

Shane

The Timex movment pdf files were compiled by the a few members of the "Vintage Timex Watch Forum" once hosted on Network 54. A great idea to 'keep em tickin' as the site admin would often say.  I scanned and provided many of those manuals as away to give back to those who helped me when I first began. How much these manuals helped each other didn't really matter. Rather the benifit was the effort of finding and sharing the information and commuiincating the success and failure. Commuincation and interaction with others is the true benifit.  That is what needs to be past on to the those who follow no matter what hobby or interest they have.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JerseyMo said:

The Timex movment pdf files were compiled by the a few members of the "Vintage Timex Watch Forum" once hosted on Network 54. A great idea to 'keep em tickin' as the site admin would often say.  I scanned and provided many of those manuals as away to give back to those who helped me when I first began. How much these manuals helped each other didn't really matter. Rather the benifit was the effort of finding and sharing the information and commuiincating the success and failure. Commuincation and interaction with others is the true benifit.  That is what needs to be past on to the those who follow no matter what hobby or interest they have.

so how do you repair the dial light in the "indiglow"  Timex watch ?       vin

Hi Vinn  apparently the luminessence is created by the dial being coated with a zinc sulphide and copper coating when a voltage (150v)  is applied it lights up.  within the watch circuitry there is a 1:1000 v transformer which steps up the voltage. So if it doesn't light up there is probably a lack of the required voltage

18 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Vinn  apparently the luminessence is created by the dial being coated with a zinc sulphide and copper coating when a voltage (150v)  is applied it lights up.  within the watch circuitry there is a 1:1000 v transformer which steps up the voltage. So if it doesn't light up there is probably a lack of the required voltage

Thanks.  when  they were new,   and a new batt. voltage 3 the light worked fine. so,  i guess the chemicals "evaporated".   i have a quarts watch that had 2     1.5 V  batts.   it  just ate batterys.!    vin

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JerseyMo said:

The Timex movment pdf files were compiled by the a few members of the "Vintage Timex Watch Forum" once hosted on Network 54.

This is the exactly the collection of PDFs I was talking about when the PDF library idea was suggested.  The moment I found them, a light went on, they gave me (as well as many others I have no doubt) the insight required to coax the confidence from were it hides.  I have nothing but appreciation and deference towards the people involved and the time they took to provide it, as well as, many others like it.

22 hours ago, JerseyMo said:

Rather the benifit was the effort of finding and sharing the information and commuiincating the success and failure. Commuincation and interaction with others is the true benifit.  That is what needs to be past on to the those who follow no matter what hobby or interest they have.

Communication and sharing are the keys with any technical endeavor involving people with such diverse backgrounds and skill levels.  I am truly pleased to see that providing assistance to someone in need can still be considered a satisfaction unto itself.  My thoughts are, if all the information was in a readily accessible and conveniently searchable database it could reduce the time between needing some information and finding it (couldn't be a bag thing).  Interpreting technically written information and providing assistance about it (for thous of us with less experience) would still be the domain of thous of us with significantly more experience.  It could also give members who feel the need to be somewhat more self-reliant, the feeling that they were.

Improvement never comes when you'r standing still.

I hope I have not offended any one with my suggestion.

Shane

Hi Shane,   Any question deserves an answer therefore as you probably have read a few opinions were put forward,  I don.t believe any one took offence at all, The whole Idea of this site, the very ethos of it it to help others of a like mind, my own interpretation of it is to do just that. Help and encouragement costs nothing but a little time and for one who is on borrowed time I will help any one if I can  If I can find information or point in the right direction for them to be able to find it I will .  There Guys on this site with a great deal of knowledge who are always willing to help.  On can only reiterate JerseyMo's sentiments. 

Welcome to the forum Shane.