Atul

Present for my dad

Hi everyone ..

im looking for some advice for a present for my dad.

My grandfather, his dad owned a watch repair shop.. in delhi between 1950- 1980 ash. he's always been fascinated with the mechanical watch movements. he's now retired ENT surgeon based in the UK.. and wanted to get him a good repair kit to start taking apart and repairing mechanical watches.. he's well versed in small fiddly work given his previous career and using microscopes.. loupes and fine motor skills.. looking for recommendations for a birthday present for a starter kit.. ive been looking but as this is not something im familiar with.. struggling to decide on a good option. ideally something that has a good case holder (versatile in terms of size.. up to large mens watch sizes) and all the required tools to get started. If it comes in a nice case would be beneficial.. budget up to £120 , but can push a bit more if it really fits the bill.. also looking for some mechanical watches for him to start playing with.. any suggestions welcome.

thanks all

Atul

Bergeon is certainly good but as watchweasol said not cheap.

Among products you see on ebay bar above, some will do for a starter/ hobbyist.

Screwdriver sharpener  for 2.99

Set of screwdrivers for about 10 to 15 bucks

Tweezers about 20 bucks

Stem holder 6 to 10 bucks 

You can get advice on each item right here.

Moebius 800 oil for about 10

Jax case back opener 10 to 15 bucks

And a running watch, Mumbay special with ST96 for about 15 to 20 bucks.

Plus all the help, advice and friendship on this forum.

Hi  I reckon Klassiker is about right, The extra will be worth it as regards quality and the tools will be ones that will be used, That is a "KIT". or there is the other route as mentioned by Joe, purchasing the items as singles and building up your own kit to the price you quoted, either way there will be plenty of advise from member as to what they personally recommend is required or essential to the task.    Cheers

Esslinger.com beats CousinsUK in quality and typically price, especially with Swiss Bergeon tools and tool kits. Esslinger offers tool kits for beginners as well, starting at like 60 USD. That is where I started off, even though it hasn't progressed to much.

10 hours ago, Atul said:

also looking for some mechanical watches for him to start playing with.

To practice on initially, you can't go far wrong with a few scrap mechanical watches from ebay. Maybe a couple of pocket watches to start, and of course a couple of my favorites,  HMT's and Sekonda, as they have jeweled movements, and clean up well.

Don't pay big money for those, as you can usually pick them up for £10 or less in a non working condition.