Abyss 2

Graziano

The Abyss 2 is 43mm round and 19mm thick with a 7mm Sapphire crystal, a huge lump of bronze. The photos turned out a little darker but there is mottling on the case and the angled edges are slightly polished and with the crystal deflection I must say it looks like a 3000m diver which it is. Don't you reckon it looks tough? Come on you guys and gals

@oldhippy, it's called a patina.  It's very desirable by some and is very desirable on some watches,  especially bronze case watches.  The bronze metal naturally develops an oxidation layer over time.  But there are methods to accelerate this effect,  acids,  salts etc. Ive seen bronze watches aged to look as if the watch had been sitting at the bottom of the ocean for a hundred years. There is also a niche among the vintage watch community where only partial restorations are done to watches leaving them looking battered and used.  Makes it look as if there is a long history and am interesting story to go along with the watch.  Similarly,  in furniture it's often called distressing and in automobiles it's called Rat Rods. Handsome watch @Graziano

I can understand why people may want to do this, but its not my thing.

One of my previous hobbies used to be restoring old toy live steam engines.

If they were completely trashed I would restore them back to better than new, but my preference was always to preserve its 'patina' if possible acquired other the 60 to 100 years of its life.

On the other hand with a watch I think I like them looking as new as possible, but I never touch the dials and otehr than a gentle wiping of dirt and dust leave the dials to show their age.

Add or removing patina is always a hotly debated topic, although I never considered it before on watches except for very rare and historic items.

A degree of patina is to be expected on vintage watches, they are old after all and the patina reflects the life that they have so far had.

I can understand that there is a fashion for an apparent "distressed" or "patinated" finish on new watches (although it's not really my thing) to create the impression that the watch has had an adventurous life even though it's factory fresh; the same fashion has reared it's ugly head (my opinion only) in the world of electric guitars.

Where I have a problem is when you get an artificially aged watch case, but the dial, hands, and any printing or paint filling on the bezel is absolutely pristine. It's a mis-match that highlights the fact that the patina isn't due to a natural ageing process.

The Helson posted above does at least have bezel markings that blend with the rest of the case, which helps, otherwise it's a bit like putting brand new hands on a watch with a time aged dial, they stick out like a sore thumb, even if the lume is a good match.

I guess it's not my cup of tea. That being said, I do like bronze watches that have patinated naturally and where the rest of the watch shows a similar level of ageing.

Edited by Marc
typos