remove case back

tomsch

It looks like a friction fit pop off back, with the seam around the center line, split across the stem. You will need to have a new single edged razor blade, preferably in a plastic holder to better handle it. Nothing thicker will do it, you would just bang it all up with a screwdriver bit or any other case back tool. Carefully push it into the gap between case back and main case then try angling the blade up to see if it will start the back coming off. You may need to do it in more than one spot to get it going. Don’t be dismayed if you break pieces off of the blade. Just throw it out and grab another one. Hope this helps. It’s just one of many methods that you will have to learn If you work on enough battery powered watches. Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

there is a slight opening in the center line opposite the stem, at 9 o'clock.  I was able to open that, but that line merely removes the movement, with the back still on it, from the crystal, which remains in the top case.  I think the part that has to be removed is the fine circle that is set in from the edge on the back of the watch.  Is that what you recommend using a razor on?

6 hours ago, tomsch said:

there is a slight opening in the center line opposite the stem, at 9 o'clock.  I was able to open that, but that line merely removes the movement, with the back still on it, from the crystal, which remains in the top case.  I think the part that has to be removed is the fine circle that is set in from the edge on the back of the watch.  Is that what you recommend using a razor on?

Take the top part of the case with crystal off and post some good clear close up pics of the bottom part of the case with the movement stuck in it.

• Like 1

thank you all for your helpful replies.  Here are pictures, responding to one of the replies, of what I'm dealing with.  separating at the midline removes the movement from the crystal.  The close up of the back shows the disk that has to be removed to access the battery.  There is no opening anywhere along that circle.  I was able to get Chopard to tell me, at least, that it is not a screw on.  Of course they recommend sending it to them for the battery replacement, which I'm sure will cost a couple hundred at least

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1378.jpg

IMG_1375.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

Now it looks like you have one where the movement, dial and all is seated in that half of the case. If that is so, you would gently lift up the dial from the 9 area and while turning the crown slowly, see if it doesn’t come out. It will have what is called a split stem, where the stem comes apart via a slot in it. Look up split stems and you will see what I am referring to. Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Hi  Thank you for the pics Looking at the stem tube this looks like a front loader with a split stem. The stem is in two halves and clip into one an other.  As Gpsluvr mentioned look up split stems and you will see what we mean.  The idea is that you remove the half with the crown on and the movement should lift out. Removing the stem one needs to be carefull there are various methods to remove the stem but every one of them requires a straight pull. Again look up how to do it.

• Like 1

As already stated this looks like it may well be a split stem in which case a quick note of caution.....

If you use any thing to lever against the case to remove the outer part of the stem make sure you use something between the case and the lever to protect the case. It can be very easy to mar an otherwise good case if you don't, and as yours looks to be a solid gold case the risk is even higher.

• Like 1

i hate split stem cases like this, i would suggest to avoid issues like marring as Marc said, take it to a jeweler and ask them to just remove the movement and thats it, it will cost much less, and then you could do the battery replacement yourself and re-assembling would be much easier than dis assembling.

• Like 1

watchweasel, yes I'm having fun with it.  Polishing up the case while waiting for the $1.00 battery from Amazon.  
Make: Chopard

Numbers on the back: 340677 and beneath that number, 4103

Inside the case back there are a number of stamps and etchings, including:
LUC (stamped) which Chopard says designates their highest quality in-house work, made only at two locations in Switzerland
750 (stamped) designating gold
this etched at 6:00 o'clock: "MS 10/09/19"
In the center - the Chopard logo image with balance scales beneath it and "750" stamped between the scales
beneath that, "TM 19735" etched.

I wish I could take a nice close of the inside of the case back but it's all to small for anything I have to take pics.

7 hours ago, saswatch88 said:

i hate split stem cases like this, i would suggest to avoid issues like marring as Marc said, take it to a jeweler and ask them to just remove the movement and thats it, it will cost much less, and then you could do the battery replacement yourself and re-assembling would be much easier than dis assembling.

lots of vintage watches  have the assembly that way with the mvt. fit into the case bottom.  usely a slip fit with a notch for the stem to come out (2 piece stem not rquired.  vin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vinn3 said:

lots of vintage watches  have the assembly that way with the mvt. fit into the case bottom.  usely a slip fit with a notch for the stem to come out (2 piece stem not rquired.  vin

Yes iam familiar with those too, a lot of Waltham/Elgin’s from the late 20s and 30s have cases like that they are much easier to open up.

• Like 1

Hi Tomsch  The movement looks like an ETA which chopard used , On the outside rim near the coil there should be a number like 955 12 or somthing like can you post it that is the make and calibre of the movement.  Chopard are quite often compared to  Rolex so you have a quality piece there.   cheers.

• Like 1