Seiko C153-5007 (Digital)

PeterS

This watch probably moved from attic to attic for the past 40 years and most likely did not have much wrist time. The owner put a new battery in but the watch is misbehaving.

Depending on the position the display goes faint, on, off. The time cannot be set. I can pull the crown out, the seconds start flashing, pressing the top button does cycle through but I cannot set the time/date with the bottom button, sometimes the number is increased (very rarely), in most cases it will jump back to the seconds. The time changes randomly.
I don’t know much about digital/quartz watches so I haven’t even opened it.
Can this watch be resurrected?

20200121_211909 (Copy).jpg

20200121_211559 (Copy).jpg

20200121_211513 (Copy).jpg

Yes probably it can.
I would start with opening it and cleaning everything - then consider inspecting the circuit board for damage.

I found mine needed a new polarizing filter on the LCD.

I do have a spare circuit board somewhere if required. They come up on ebay as well.
In that condition restored its probably worth at least 125 GBP.

• Like 2

Hi  Cleaning these types of watches would be a mine field as they use varnishes on the pcb so materials such as any petroleum based spirits is a no no, Apart from using dry air carefully to remove dust.  In the old days carbon tetrachloride was avail able also Arkalone which we used in the factory for cleaning computer circuit boards Both now defunct under the harmfull chemicals legislation. 

This guy here is a good enthusiast of digital watches, and he has quite a few videos regarding servicing them. I've just picked one of his videos, very complete, so if you want to see it and apply some of his methods, or check his channel ans see if there's any other interesting video for you.

It’s been partially disassembled and I must say it looks good except a little corrosion on the battery connector. I’m not so sure whether this would affect the behaviour of the watch.

See what you think and let me know whether I should pay attention to something else.

20200126_123437 (Copy).jpg

20200126_125418 (Copy).jpg

20200126_131809 (Copy).jpg

20200126_132353 (Copy).jpg

20200126_132412 (Copy).jpg

20200126_132801 (Copy).jpg

20200126_133150 (Copy).jpg

20200126_133458 (Copy).jpg

20200126_133856 (Copy).jpg

I gave it a good clean with IPA, assembled it and had the same problems. At one stage I was able to set the time, day and date but the case was not closed fully and when I pressed it together to close the small gap I run into the same issues. The calculator works fine but pressing the pushers does not.
There is part that looked meaningless to me and when I compared it to the image in the parts list for the C153A caliber I realised it was broken. It’s the positive battery connector. I’m hoping that replacing the part (found one on Ebay) will resolve the issue but it makes me wonder why it works at all?

20200201_153627 (Copy).jpg

20200201_175718 (Copy).jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I used IPA to clean it (99.9% alcohol)
I'll have to disassemble it once again. I didn't lubricate it and neither I cleaned it to a standard I'm happy with because I didn't know how many times I'd have to take it apart to get to the bottom of the problem. I'll also use polywatch to remove the scratches.