Sieko 5 Automatic Self Winding Fault...simple Repair?

jonnya

I have an Seiko 5 Automatic Sports Black SNKG23. It was second hand and in almost unused condition. It worked fine and kept the time to the second each week....although after a month of use part of the self winding mechanism (the slim cheese wedge shaped part) has loosened and is tapping against the glass on the back of the watch. Is there any way to remedy this issue. I am very practical..could I take the back of the watch of and tighten the screw with the correct tool? Why did it come loose?

All replies greatfully recieved,

Thank you, Jonathan.

post-642-0-65491100-1421172164.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to tighten the rotor retainig screw, but the bearings still appear slack (I can hear a bit of a rattle when the rear case is on) What options do I have to repair the watch? New bearings? Does anyone have any ideas where I can get the parts? Thanks, jon.

Hi jonnya,

It could be the bearing that is "coming apart".

Do the watch still winds and gives time correctly? I've seen some of those that although the bearing and rotor are fine, the threaded stem/stud where the rotor screws on is loose at the "barrel and train bridge", being it a pressure fit. The trace is similar to the one left by a defective bearing if the watch works at all. This threaded stem/stud also houses the jewel for the fourth wheel and pinion so when it is "gone" it is best to change the whole bridge and check the pivots on the said wheel...cousins still has this bridge but you need to specify the movement number (on the back of the case, something like 7S26-0050, yours should be definitely different from the example. The first part on the left of the dash is the movement number.)...I would recommend, if you are not familiar with the process and/or don't have the proper tools to consult your local watchmaker...

On the other hand, it could be a nice project watch to get you started if you haven't yet! If you screw up, there are parts available out there or you can swap to a more recent (more features depending) Seiko movement like the NH36, about UK$28 or similar (just add the day star with dial disk, intermediate wheel for day corrector and the snap for day star with dial disk from the old movement to your choise of 4R36, 4R15 and/or NH35 all between UK$25 and UK$40, and you are done).

Just a thought,

Cheers,

Bob

If it is a 7S26 movement and the rotor is rattling you will nee one of these:

post-80-0-06140300-1422301709_thumb.jpg

These will fit all 7S26 movements, the only problem being that they are normally stamped 7S26B. They also work in 7002 movements as well. Cousins stock them for £8.25 ex VAT & delivery.

• Like 1

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Welcome to the forum, enjoy. To replace the case you will have to find one on eBay.o
    • If you intend to repair them yourself then have a go. If you are thinking of taking them to a watchmaker then the answer is no they are not worth it.
    • it be nice to give us a picture so we can get a second opinion as to what we think? Sticking together it could be magnetism because that's a steel spring. or conceivably a really bad lubrication that hasn't been rinsed off or clean off. Or more likely possibly it's as a inappropriate bend someplace. This is always fun to track down where the problem is on the hairspring. don't worry about this everybody new to watch repair will have hairspring issues and this question comes up a lot. yes sort of? Remember my experience is usually one missing screw and your fast about 15 minutes at least on 18 size pocket watch it may be less on a smaller watch perhaps. See if you have a pair of really small screws smaller in diameter shorter in length and you can try just one of them initially to see if it's going to have the effects you don't have to be playing with both of them. Often times you look at the watches and there will be these half blank screws for this very reason as the factory had infinite quantity of sizes that we don't get to have. sad thing is Henry's not around to ask questions anymore. But when he was around he was a very interesting person to talk to. But this is watch repair it's filled with lots and lots and lots of variations. For instance Hamilton has an interesting technical guide which I've attached. Let's look at the last page where they talk about at least for Hamilton watches the effect of the mean time screws and you'll notice there seems to be some variations. So LB variations between all the brands because the screws sizes will be slightly different. You also notice there's a reference to you can order your timing washers from Hamilton at one time. Plus the timing washers are not an exact science either. I'll have a watch running superfast and guestimate and put the timing washers on it then find that there are not the exact minutes they claim to be sentenced to be some variations there   hamilton_tech_note_on_regulation technical data 124.pdf
    • Now that you have a replacement on the way, no reason not to attempt a repair on the original. Drill out what remains and glue in a new post, any material of the correct diameter to fit the hole and an adhesive that will accommodate both materials. You will need some magnification to complete the task.
    • Yes, the hair spring is from a different balance from the same model movement I have. I have three 1894 movements. The original hairspring had issues with sticking together for whatever reason. So I simply swapped it out in favour of farting around with the hairspring. The Henry B Fried book claims a half turn on the timing screws could make a change of a minute, so I rather assumed that turning them out as much as I have would have improved it more than It did, but sadly not. I suppose since I have the original hairspring, I could try and repair that one, and it should theoretically be "matched" to the balance. I had no idea the hairsprings were matched, I assumed since they were the "same" model it should be interchangeable. Visually, the spring looks perfect. I'll take another look under the microscope at it, but I didn't see any issues. Perhaps the old spring is magnetized, that would be simple. Oh wait, since I have additional balances, can't I just add more screws? There are many extra holes in the balance.