Russian Watch w Liquefied Gasket

monastic

I have a Russian wristwatch with what I assume is a vintage electric movement (transition between mechanical and quartz). It's attractive and it runs, and I want to keep it that way.
HOWEVER -

The old gasket has turned to sticky nasty goo, and the goo is holding the movement in the case around the inside of the dial. I don't want to ruin the movement or get the dial face dirty trying to get the assembly out of the case, but it's stuck in there tight. Even so, I have no idea how to clean it once I have it apart. As a test I've tried letting the back parts sit in soap before washing them off. And when that didn't budge the tar, I tried GooGone - also to no avail. 

Anybody with experience here, please help. Thanks!

Russian w Liquefied Gasket (1).jpg

Russian w Liquefied Gasket (2).jpg

Russian w Liquefied Gasket (3).jpg

Russian w Liquefied Gasket (4).jpg

Russian w Liquefied Gasket (5).jpg

Edited by monastic
Typos

What a mess. Ronsonol lighter fluid and a box of cotton swabs, with lots of caution. That ‘s one option. I’ve used it to do that and it also will not usually affect any of the painted parts. Other solvents will ruin the dial or crystal. Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

If all else...consider reassembling the back, removing the bezel and gently using compressed to pop the crystal while wrapped up in a cloth. Or use a crystal lift if acrylic. Then remove the back and hands and gently pressing from the dial side (protected) while softening the goo with heat from a hair-dryer.

Good luck!

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, yankeedog said:

naphtha and a box of q tips

My mind went straight to "naptha and a box of matches" - Tempting...

Great ideas from everyone and I'm pondering which to try next. Likely won't get back to it until the weekend, but I'll be sure to let you all know what happens. Thanks!

Edited by monastic

• 2 weeks later...

Reporting back. Here's what worked: Hand sanitizer.

Decided to give it a try since none of the other conventional cleaners were touching it. Best thing ever - it dissolved the black goop immediately and it wiped away easily with bud swabs and Scott tissue. It works really well removing Sharpie marker and tape goo, guess gasket removal goes on the list, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Monastic, would that be the pump bottle gel type? I'm surprised that would have enough solvent to dissolve the rubber goo but I love learning something new like this. Please share what type you used. 

Come to think of it, some of those products do have alcohol in them, maybe that was the ticket...

Edited by watchabit

I have used several brands of hand sanitizer for cleaning felt marker and other kinds of tenacious stains and goo off of smooth surfaces.

The ones I have all over the house right now are little flip-cap travel-size bottles. They all use ethyl alcohol as the active ingredient - 60% to 70%. The specific one I used on this Russian watch is a Safeway brand product. It compares itself to Purell, but states that it is not made by GOJO, which makes Purell. 

I don't know squat about chemistry, but I wonder if the gel element keeps the alcohol from drying out before it can liquefy whatever goo it needs to so it can be wiped away? I can't tell that it leaves a residue either. 

Edited by monastic
OCD