Best way of removing this Seiko's movement?

Hello OrbitalGolem, normally you take out the windingstem first. Afterwards you remove the movement cushion. But in sometimes, you have to remove the bezel, so you can get out the movement from the front. In that case, first remove te strap. Than you probably find a small area between the lugt, where you can use your caseknife to remove the bezel.

1 hour ago, Lwayslate said:

Here's how to remove the crown/stem and then you should be able to lift the movement out. I use a hat pin to push the dimple on this type of lever and hold it down while pulling on the Crown. 2ccb253da3fcb3b2b03beb2c3910e524.jpg&key=3b5db4d8eac047456e3208f92f48f2f1887e9f04df29f5bf07802366e9cc18e9

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Many thanks - winding stem successfully removed, but the movement is very snug in the case.  I've read to pry upward gently on the movement with a toothpick to remove it.  Are there specific areas I should pry from for the 4R36A movement?  The service manual doesn't give any guidance where to pry at.

1 hour ago, Gaus said:

But in sometimes, you have to remove the bezel, so you can get out the movement from the front.

No Seiko 5 is made as front loader. That is a rigid constrain in the series design and construction, which calls for simplicity and commonality. 

4 minutes ago, OrbitalGolem said:

I've read to pry upward gently on the movement with a toothpick to remove it.  Are there specific areas I should pry from for the 4R36A movement?

First, give a couple of knocks on the glass while keeping it face up just above the desk.

If still doesn't come out pry gently with a small driver on the side opposite the crown, that be because the crown tube also holds the mov. ring. There is a slot under the balance cock that you can use. 

1 hour ago, Lwayslate said:

Here's how to remove the crown/stem and then you should be able to lift the movement out. I use a hat pin to push the dimple on this type of lever and hold it down while pulling on the Crown. 2ccb253da3fcb3b2b03beb2c3910e524.jpg&key=3b5db4d8eac047456e3208f92f48f2f1887e9f04df29f5bf07802366e9cc18e9

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

with the stem out :  gently take out the mvt. out of the case and then replace the stem.   if you are going to take the dial off,  dont't wory about the stem.     vin

19 hours ago, jdm said:

No Seiko 5 is made as front loader. That is a rigid constrain in the series design and construction, which calls for simplicity and commonality. 

First, give a couple of knocks on the glass while keeping it face up just above the desk.

If still doesn't come out pry gently with a small driver on the side opposite the crown, that be because the crown tube also holds the mov. ring. There is a slot under the balance cock that you can use. 

Many thanks for the guidance.  When it's time to re-install the movement, should I leave the rotor off while installing or is it okay to press against it gently to nudge the movement into the case?