How to Open this Hamilton Electronic?

Of course it has a case back. Please get proper tools to work on this nice watch. There are blade type tools to easily open snap type case backs without the risk of damage to the piece or injury to yourself. It is also very possible that you will need a press to close it. Without these it's better to bring it to a good watch shop. 

I can't see the pic from where I am, but I have a Hamilton electric that I have to pull out the stem (there is a couple that disconnects) and from there take off the crystal and the movement pops out. I believe there is probably a lot of information about taking movements out through the front that is around in a more general sense.

Cheers

1 minute ago, Hamish said:

I can't see the pic from where I am, but I have a Hamilton electric that I have to pull out the stem (there is a couple that disconnects) and from there take off the crystal and the movement pops out. I believe there is probably a lot of information about taking movements out through the front that is around in a more general sense.

Cheers

I was thinking this is a front loader.  There is literally no seem anywhere on the back.  So the crown has to come off and then the movement will come out.

This is a hamilton "Electronic" . From whagt I understand, it is later then the "Electric" . but finding info is hard because google always wants to give me results for "electric"

41 minutes ago, standarsh said:

I was thinking this is a front loader.  There is literally no seem anywhere on the back.  

Actually one can see a small round notch at 9h, there must be a reason for that? 

And assuming it's a front loader, then the crystal must be removed using a lifter (do you have one?) something that may leave some marks on the sides, can you see if there is any? The alternative could be a syringe. 

Edited by jdm

I think it's a 2 piece case like vintage rotarys and some tissot.

You press down the crystal and the front should separate from the back (case  back, movement, dial, crystal, etc.).

Maybe more pictures would be nice from both sides.

EDIT: it quite possibly is a front loader as has been said so you might have to remove the stem but also crystal and the rest. 

Edited by Chopin

this site has a similar (caseback) Hamilton for sale and the description mentiones 'monocoque case" ie movement comes out the front.

This site also has one (sold) and mentions a 'solid caseback'.

So it could be a one piece case with a split stem. If the crystal has a bezel then try to remove that, failing which just remove the crystal. Then see if the movement will drop out while rotating the crow, sometimes the split-stem will disengage when the slot is 90 degrees to the case.

Good luck.

Anilv

26 minutes ago, clockboy said:

For tight ones I use one of these which I have found this tool  invaluable.

Same principle, full metal, copy of now discontinued Elma :

Edited by jdm

1 hour ago, standarsh said:

“683” was stamped on the movement. Is ESA9154 a different movement?  I’m new to this 

Just as many many brands put their name on calibers made by a different maker today so they did in the past. Up to the end of the 60s Hamilton made their own stuff, then moved operations to Switzerland, then by the mid 70s were bought by the company that became Swatch Group. So this movement was made by ESA (basically ETA), and they put the Hamilton name on it and a new caliber number.

Here's a link to the Ranfft page on this caliber http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&ETA-ESA_9154

• Like 1

i have a"683"   as i recall,  there  were 2 mvt.'s.   my case and dial were bad.  when i got it out of the case (you don't want to know how i got it out - via a cross threaded back).   the mvt. ran with the batt. mentioned above.   i'll try to find it.   vin

22 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

Just as many many brands put their name on calibers made by a different maker today so they did in the past. Up to the end of the 60s Hamilton made their own stuff, then moved operations to Switzerland, then by the mid 70s were bought by the company that became Swatch Group. So this movement was made by ESA (basically ETA), and they put the Hamilton name on it and a new caliber number.

Here's a link to the Ranfft page on this caliber http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&ETA-ESA_9154

Got it thanks. Just want to make sure I buy the correct battery in my break today so I can get it home and get it running then see what if anything else I will need to do to it. 

is there a faster way to set the time other than spinning the clock 24hrs?  It’s set to 21 right now I don’t want to spin it through a month or wait til tomorrow to put battery in. 

thanks again