I am very nearsighted (between -6 and -7 in both eyes). With astigmatism. Now, in my late 50's I also have significant nearsightedness.
I thought a flip up visor - which I could wear with my glasses would be best. I purchased an OptiVisor with a flip-down loupe. But not happy at all with the visual quality.
I know you get what you pay for in optics. What is the best type of device for someone with old-bad eyes.
I have never used a regular loupe - but thinking that may be the way to go. Any of you guys (or gals) have a reccomendation?
If this is inappropriate, please delete the post.
I have an acquaintance who is closing his shop due to health after 43 years. He has a large quantity of parts, stems, crowns, crystals and all the paraphernalia one would accumulate after a long period in the business. He needs to liquidate his shop. This isn't a "Hey do you have a __ for a __." kind of post. We're talking serious stuff here. Mass quantities. If you need parts, equipment, etc. for your practice, please let me know. I will pass along his email contact to you. Obviously, this is useful primarily only to those in the U.S. due to shipping costs. But he has a huge amount of useful goods and is 100 miles South of Atlanta. PM me if you need something.
I'm having some unexpected behaviour from a eta 7750 that I'm trying to regulate after servicing.
I went through service procedure using correct lubricants.
Everything went fine. Actually I have some doubt on lubrication of incabloc wich I'm not sure I did correctly since I'm afraid that too much oil was placed in one of the two stones.
The fact is that when I finished I wasn't brave enough to clean and lubricate it again ... shame on me but I felt that task to be very very difficult.
Anyway after reassembling the watch I had it at my wrist for a week and it showed a great consistency at -10 sec a day.
It'a stop grade movement and resting at night in DU, DD 9UP and 3UP positions always showed something between -14 -6
I was very happy with that result and I thought that a little regulation would have brought it to a very fine time keeping.
Then I reopened the caseback and slightly moved etachron arm, that was resting in a nearly neutral position, in the + direction.
Nothing happened (measuring with timegrapher open source app)
Did it again, another slight push.
? ok I must have gone the wrong direction, then pushed all the way toward -
Ok this is annoying, all the way toward +
here I am,
what I'm I missing?
How come moving the regulator arm from - to + does not make any variation?
No registered users viewing this page.
If the broach starts to bind in the hole a little oil will help. For your first attempt you have done well. I’m not too sure of the bush you have chosen the hole has very little depth to the pivot and plate. This is why I always made my own. Here are two sorts of bushes that I recommend. Bergeon and KWM I wouldn’t use them. Bergeon clock brooches cutting and smoothing are one of the best, I don’t think they cover the sizes you would need for Longcase (grandfather) clocks I might be wrong. There is another type of bushing when you have experience, that is called invisible, that is when you can’t see that the clock has been bushed. https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/mantel-clock-general https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/english-clock-bushes
Thank you @JohnD. This seems like a sensible 50th birthday present if not an extravagant one considering his demographic and the era. That's not to say he didn't rise above that demographic. It would be cool if our watches came with detailed provenance, sadly we're left with guesses and dreams.
Finally... Bush fitted - hole broached to the needed size, and the video below was the test fit to see if it all worked and looked OK. The wheels spins smoothly though all angles (it was not lubricated at this point) and the bearing endplay looks fine too. Not shown in the sequence but done anyway, was my attempt at polishing the pivot from the worn side. It was marked and oldhippy said it really should be done. I did not have any correct tools for this, but did have some hard pith wood and very fine rouge, so had a go with that, using a small hand-drill to spin the wheel. Before and after through the loupe did show a marked improvement, so was worth doing. (Naturally, I polished the pivot before broaching the pivot hole...) All I need to do now is to rebuild the works and sort out the escapement depthing and, hopefully, this old clock will keep time again. I would welcome comments, views on the process etc. as this was a learning task for me. I also have to say thanks to all who commented and gave tips earlier, as you certainly gave me the confidence to "have a go". Re-Bushed.mp4