What tool do you use to regulate?

mousekar

Hello All,

I'm wondering what tool is commonly used to manipulate the regulator arm? I've used everything from tweezers to a plastic stick used to help open up computers. My main issue is that all of the things I've used are risky for slippage and I find it incredibly hard to just nudge a little when you're really trying to dial in the timing. I would think there would be a special tool for this (there's a special tool for EVERYTHING), but I haven't managed to find such a tool if it exists. Today I made my own tool using an old broken spring bar tool that I reshaped that should make life a little easier, but I'm very curious to see what everyone else is using.

thank you

I'll bet you if you take a small screwdriver tip and make a small V in it, it would prevent and possibility in slipping. This will now work for pocket watches of course. Thoughts? Or do the same with a long thin piece of brass so less steel on steel contact.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I wrote about such a tool somewhere else in the forum which I called a "regulator arm tool". It can be easily made from an old screwdriver. 

It straddles the regulator arm from the top, so that reduces the chance of slipping and damaging the hairspring. It also gives much better torque control allowing very small adjustments of the arm.20200712_093708.thumb.jpg.84a9ad635fd74e2d673c0b33f3654993.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
I wrote about such a tool somewhere else in the forum which I called a "regulator arm tool". It can be easily made from an old screwdriver. 
It straddles the regulator arm from the top, so that reduces the chance of slipping and damaging the hairspring. It also gives much better torque control allowing very small adjustments of the arm.http://d1v6dnm22vfd7d.cloudfront.net/monthly_2020_09/20200712_093708.thumb.jpg.84a9ad635fd74e2d673c0b33f3654993.jpg

Great minds:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 2 weeks later...