Seiko Spirit - 5M22A help

I am looking at a Seiko Spirit which has the refererence 5M22A on the movement. This watch has seen water ingress at some stage and the movement is badly corroded and beyond saving (although case and dial etc. are fine). I've looked to see if i can find a 5M22A on somewhere like ebay but no luck. There do seem to be other '5M22' references though e.g. with suffixes like 7B30, 6C30 etc. I usually only work on (Swiss) mechanical movements so am unfamiliar with Seiko nomenclature ... I don't know what these suffixes mean and whether they'd be suitable.

So basically can someone point me in the right direction and tell me what Seiko movement references I can look at to see if I can find a replacement for the 5M22A please?

Edited by WatchMaker

4 digits Suffixes are the case number, together with the mov.t they make the basic watch reference.

You can finnd size specifications oine or measure it. Before giving up on it check pulse at the coil, if there is try a line release or demag. 

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

The movement is a 5M22. Have some if you like to service and rebuild a movement. Don't think there are any parts avalible out there .  Have a few cases and such for this .  I have what i think is a 3M22 movement in a ladies watch i really would like to get running again . As the watch is in nice condition.  Would make a nice watch to give away . 

• Like 1

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

I'm pretty self-sufficent when it comes to mechanical movements but a Seiko kinetic is a new one on me! The case and strap on this watch are titanium and from the front this looks like a great watch - dial unmarked; date and hands move etc. But this is the reality inside! ...

image.thumb.png.27ccb6c7574d0e24395ac90390b2ed18.png

It's looking pretty rusted up in there and the rotor doesn't even turn so I've automatically jumped to the conclusion that a replacement movement is the way to go! The '5M22A' is the identifier I mentioned on the movement; there's a '342391' on the case back.

Hi @watchweasol - if your superior reference skills can locate an alternative that would be great! :)

Thanks @rogart63 that is a very generous offer. If there's not an alternative movement then I'd like to take you up on this!  There's nothing on ebay 5M22 related apart from buying a complete watch! Is the 'service and rebuild' you mention something realistic? I'm a good engineer in general and more specifically have serviced and repaired lots of mechnical watches but quartz and kinetic ... yikes! ;)

• Like 1

Hi Watchmaker  So far sourcing a replacement has returned negative, references to the 5M22A apart from complete watches is as Rogart says scarce, I think Rogarts  Offer is the way to go, If you are good on mechanicals then treat the seiko the same just be carefull. The origional movement looks a bit rusty but by striipng it you gain knowledge It may be workable, just see haow far the rust has penetrated.  Wish you well:thumbsu:

• Like 1

Check this http://www.startimesupply.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=S5M42

and this http://www.startimesupply.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=YT62

If you are in the UE/UK maybe someone, excluding Cousins, has it.

Now if wanting for a cheap and practical repair, forget about "Kinetic", try fitting a proper size common battery.

• Like 1

Thanks @jdm

And re. your suggestion about fitting a normal movement ... I'm not precious about a kinetic but the case has an ancillary button at the 2 o'clock position which apparently activates a power reserve indicator. It would seem wrong then to have a button that did nothing by fitting a standard movement. But it's got me thinking...

...are there movements with a complication that could be activated by a single button?! I can't think of any but you guys might know of something! B)

52 minutes ago, WatchMaker said:

And re. your suggestion about fitting a normal movement ...

I didn't wrote to fit a normal module, just a normal battery in the current one, that is normally done for testing, or when the rechargeable battery can't be obtained, or when the charging part is faulty. However if it doesn't work at all you should fit an equivalent module as indicated above.

• Like 1