Current Peeve....

....sellers who list their Wittnauer as 'Longines wittnauer'? Oh and Sicuras sold as 'Sicura-Brietling'

Wittnauers are generally ok but if you buy a Sicura and think you're getting a Brietling... wow what a dissappointment.

Reason I bring this up is someone brought me a Wittnauer he paid over the odds for as it was advertised as a Longines. On my advise he requested a refund but he was told by the seller that Wittnauer and Longines are one and the same company... My advise was for him to inform the seller that nowhere on the watch mentions 'Longines' and that there was misrepresentation.

Anil

Oh - I've been irritated by this for years - sellers talking up their wares on eBay by hinting that they're something they're not. Wittnauer and Longines shared a factory at one time, but the parts are not interchangeable, and a Wittnauer is not a Longines. Similarly with Breitling and Sicura - one is not the other - and the one that really gets up my nose is Rolex Tudor.

You do see some stupidities. There's one eBay seller who sells a string of Titoni watches, one after the other, all identical, and describes them all as "rare"! The biggest, scammy talk-up is on so-called "military" watches or "WW1" or "WW2" or "trench". In 99% of cases, there's absolutely no provenance whatsoever for these terms - just a dial that looks vaguely military in style, most of the time, or perhaps a putative date from the 1940s.

All **BLEEP** of course. And don't get me started on the use of the word "vintage"... :pulling-hair-out:

There's a rather good discussion on this going on on another forum at the moment. By far the most disliked fleabay terminology is 'rare' with all its misused prefixes such as 'super', 'mega', 'extremely', etc. Didn't somebody say something once about 'lies, damned lies & statistics, about time it was updated to dodgy fleabay sellers instead of statistics.